• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Mikrotik wAP LTE kit

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
These are starting to become available locally. Looking like a really fantastic alternative to Huawei routers considering you get RouterOS. Pricepoint should be good too. Weatherproof means in most cases you can simply mount it outdoors with no need for an external antenna.

The wAP LTE is a small weatherproof wireless access point with a built in cellular modem that supports 2G, 3G and 4G (LTE) connectivity. Connect to the wAP’s built-in 802.11b/g/n wireless and access the LTE network from your phone or any other wireless device. The wAP LTE also has one 10/100 Ethernet LAN port for your wired devices.

LTE cards are connected to two internal antennas with u.FL connectors, so if you want, you can unplug the connectors and add your own external LTE antenna for larger coverage. Unit has the several powering options - 9-30v PoE-in by Ethernet port, DC jack and Automotive connector, very handy in mobile devices like car, bus or train.

RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE includes LTE modem that supports International LTE bands 1,2,3,7,8,20,38 and 40.
1316_l.jpg

Details: https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_lte_kit
Product Sheet: https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/wAP_lte_kit-170720142523.pdf
External Antenna Connectors: http://www.antennas.co.za/Products/ProductDetails?code=39

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Where did you get it from?

Mikrotik have had delays in their manufacturing process

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Haven't bought one yet. Hoping to get a test unit for work.

Uniterm say they have stock.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Interesting.

We bring in Mikrotik as well and I've been trying to get these as well. The thing, it's been delayed for 10 weeks or so.

I wonder how they got

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Interesting.

We bring in Mikrotik as well and I've been trying to get these as well. The thing, it's been delayed for 10 weeks or so.

I wonder how they got
You need a better connection of a connection? :p

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Mikrotik devices are not meant to be "aesthetically pleasing". You buy Mikrotik devices to get the job done.
I know, hence the :eek:, but their past devices were really hond lelik compared to Ubiquiti :D This seems to be changing with their new products.

eagle2k

I only got some from uniterm. The rest all on backorder.
So now im bringing in my own. Dhl express shipping

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Mikrotik devices are not meant to be "aesthetically pleasing". You buy Mikrotik devices to get the job done.
Although I agree completely on the functionality it helps a hell of a lot when reselling it to someone if it doesn’t look dog ugly.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So I secured a unit to test. If you're familiar with RouterOS then setup is a piece of cake. Unit looks nice and is easy to open up and disassemble.

I did some rudimentary side-by-side tests with a Huawei B315 (paddles attached) and the RSRP was -73dBm on the Huawei and -84dBm on the Mikrotik. So the internal antennas are not that great. The download speeds were pretty similar, but the upload suffered (I assume due to the poorer signal). Only other fault was that you can't get the SIM card out easily. It doesn't have a spring eject, so you need to pull it out and the only way to do that was to take off the top cover and push the SIM out.

Some pics!
IMG_6073_small.jpg
Side View

IMG_6071_small.jpg
Front View

IMG_6072_small.jpg
Rear View

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Ok, I can see the antenna are not soldered in like other units. So in theory you can add external antennae.

Is there any space on the external casing that would allow you to drill through