Mirror services

DFantom

Expert Member
regardtv said:
ANY CHANCE for a sourceforge mirror ?
LOL not going to happen
SF requirements are huge, both in disk and bandwidth. Honestly I doubt that WBS has enough bandwidth in total to host a SF mirror. Not trying to insult WBS, but anyone short of IS, SAIX and maybe UUNet in this country wouldn't be able to do it effectively.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a local SF mirror as well

LoneGunman

Expert Member
I'd second's stokes suggestion of an Underdogs & gamecopyworld mirror and - while we're at it, a local planetquake.com would be pleasant (along with all the other planet*.* sites & files..
(and a local clubseventeen.com mirror would also be nice :)

Ravilj

Gentoo!!! YES PLEASE!!! \o/ Yes a fully up2date portage package et al! kthnx

iburstuser

slimothy said:
open source is for pansies, I'd rather just steal pay software
lol. always the diplomat.

no but seriously, you people are being stupid. most of WBS' customers are not techies like you, they dont know WTF any of this kuk is. so these mirrors are useless to all but maybe 10 people.

Add to the list more useful stuff, like fhm, playboy (for the articles), etc.

DFantom

Expert Member
iburstuser said:
most of WBS' customers are not techies like you, they dont know WTF any of this kuk is. so these mirrors are useless to all but maybe 10 people.
Good point. But the techies are
a) The highest usage users
b) The most likely to go for the high end options
c) Most likely to get others on to it (all my friends/family always ask me for help with computers and what to use for the internet etc...)
So keeping the techies, albeit a small group, happy is important.

iburstuser said:
playboy (for the articles)
There is articles in playboy :eek: where?!?! LOL

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think the thing to consider about a mirror service of sorts, is that it would probably be a Value Added Service (not a VANS/VAS reference), IOW those that wanted to use it should expect to pay extra for it, and I would be one of those if it got me my downloads any quicker than going through a bunch of intermediate IP hosts.

RichardG

Honorary Master
It would be nice to see IBURST have mirror service where our 3 GIG bandwidth doesn't count to download stuff.

slimothy

Banned
but it costs them to move the data froma mirror to you and costs them to host the mirror, so why would they do that

I'd rather have them fine tune thier network then worry about the frills later