Missing matric due to COVID-19?

Should accommodation be made for matric students affected by COVID-19?

• Yes...

Votes: 38 76.0%
  • No...

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Should matric students unable to write their exams due to COVID-19 isolation* be allowed to take their supplementary examinations before May and June?

*This includes both students who have tested positive and those who have been in contact with someone who has.​

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Imagine having to put your future on hold for six months because someone in your class got COVID...
That's the reality, and also the reason why the WCED instructed schools to let the other grades do controlled tests as opposed to the usual provincial end of year tests. No two schools were able to teach the curriculum properly this year so the WCED has no idea what each kid was taught because of this opening and closing of schools when one case was detected at a school.

eg2505

Honorary Master
its all a mess honestly, I feel bad for any Kid that has to live through the clusterF*ck that 2020 is.
yes, they should be allowed to rewrite even, I dont think any kid learned much this year anyway.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Because there was no leadership from the Government, schools did what they could based on what they thought was best within the resources they had. As a result, the way in which schools continued educating was widely varied.

My lad's school was terrible. Perhaps it was just his grade tutors who were inept and pathetic. But very early on we decided to find education material to keep his mind occupied. We hastily moved him at the beginning of the month to a new school. We feel it was the right thing for him.

My daughter's school were online and teaching through MS Teams inside of 2 weeks. They were brilliant. Some of the kids treated this as a holiday. My daughter embraced the change and work hard. In term 1, she achieved here highest aggregate in her high school career. We just received her term 3 report and topped term 1 by another point.

We are extremely fortunate. We count our blessings. But not everyone has been. My heart breaks for the children who face the year end exams without having had proper schooling this year. It is an impossible decision to make without hurting many who lost valuable time through the year.

I would like to feel that supplementary exams should be made available for students to rewrite their exams. Just how they are accommodated to do this needs utmost care for them and the class of 2021.

geezer

Expert Member
The importance of a good matric result cannot be overemphasized. Luckily I do not have any kids in school anymore, but I would definitely have considered them redoing their matric year, but I do not have enough information as to exactly how much work was lost during this time to give a better informed opinion. If I were in any position to decide for myself, I would have done things differently when I was in matric.

My father passed away when I was in matric (1980), I was only 16 at that time. I turned 17 sometime during my matric year. After he passed away we moved provinces and I had to change school. I was in three different schools during my matric year. If I had any say in anything, I would have decided to drop down one level and redo my std 9 year in the new school and then complete my matric year at one school.

R13...

Honorary Master
If they're well enough to write and are ready then let them write. In their own fish tank type thinks or similar. Whatever is practical.

avk

That's the reality, and also the reason why the WCED instructed schools to let the other grades do controlled tests as opposed to the usual provincial end of year tests. No two schools were able to teach the curriculum properly this year so the WCED has no idea what each kid was taught because of this opening and closing of schools when one case was detected at a school.

Not just the WCED. Instruction is that all DBE schools are supposed to do this for Gr 11 and below. No end-of-year, fully fledged examinations. Only a test series, which covers the work that was taught.

Weighting to calculate the end-of-year mark has also been adjusted due to having a test series instead of an exam, so assessments throughout the year weigh more than usual.

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
The importance of a good matric result cannot be overemphasized. Luckily I do not have any kids in school anymore, but I would definitely have considered them redoing their matric year, but I do not have enough information as to exactly how much work was lost during this time to give a better informed opinion. If I were in any position to decide for myself, I would have done things differently when I was in matric.

My father passed away when I was in matric (1980), I was only 16 at that time. I turned 17 sometime during my matric year. After he passed away we moved provinces and I had to change school. I was in three different schools during my matric year. If I had any say in anything, I would have decided to drop down one level and redo my std 9 year in the new school and then complete my matric year at one school.
Not entirely true. Even with a shitty you can still get 'in'...

I've never been asked for my matric results, as they themselves don't write code. Infact, it's always been what I've done so far with a practical and aptitude test.

Good luck flashing your matric for that.

geezer

Expert Member
Not entirely true. Even with a shitty you can still get 'in'...

I've never been asked for my matric results, as they themselves don't write code. Infact, it's always been what I've done so far with a practical and aptitude test.

Good luck flashing your matric for that.
I suppose it will differ from industry to industry, and whether you're employed by a big corporation or a smaller business. Where I work they unfortunately cling on to the archaic notion of you're only very valuable if you have a tertiary qualification. I worked very hard throughout all the years of my employment, worked many hours of overtime without being paid for it. After many years (±25+) I received a discretionary promotion to a post level where I qualified for a car allowance and also the company covered the insurance of the vehicle. This post also included a bigger bonus percentage (max of 17.5% of CTC vs. 15%). Then after a few years the company got in a consulting firm to revise their structures, as well as remuneration policy. Based on their recommendations, everybody that was in posts deemed only for tertiary qualified personnel, the car allowance was removed, the insurance part was removed and we once again only qualified for the 15% bonus percentage. Bottom line, where I am employed, only having a matric gets you nowhere. Get a proper matric, get a tertiary qualification!

Nemoneiros

Executive Member
I suppose it will differ from industry to industry, and whether you're employed by a big corporation or a smaller business. Where I work they unfortunately cling on to the archaic notion of you're only very valuable if you have a tertiary qualification. I worked very hard throughout all the years of my employment, worked many hours of overtime without being paid for it. After many years (±25+) I received a discretionary promotion to a post level where I qualified for a car allowance and also the company covered the insurance of the vehicle. This post also included a bigger bonus percentage (max of 17.5% of CTC vs. 15%). Then after a few years the company got in a consulting firm to revise their structures, as well as remuneration policy. Based on their recommendations, everybody that was in posts deemed only for tertiary qualified personnel, the car allowance was removed, the insurance part was removed and we once again only qualified for the 15% bonus percentage. Bottom line, where I am employed, only having a matric gets you nowhere. Get a proper matric, get a tertiary qualification!
Sure, I've worked them all from self employed to international corporations. Of course just having a matric actually means nothing and you should have other qualifications with the skills to back it. I mean, any one can pass with enough determination (eventually) but can they do the actual job? I've seen and had one too many senior developers with a filing cabinet of papers, but just not all there when it matters.

edit
A good but worst example of this is when I worked at Mustek Electronics (way back in the day) we were forced to get our MCPs to make them look great and reap the benefits. What actually happened was we crammed it, passed it and then forgotten all about it.