Monitor taking ages to wake up.

Barrymore

I'm running windows 7 and my monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 740N.
While it is quite old visually it is still perfect. Last week on moving the mouse
it took a few seconds to wake up from standby. It now takes a few minutes.
Last night I switched the monitor off and this morning it took three minutes
to come on. Any help would be appreciated.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Unless there are some or other driver issues, it is simply old age catching up with the circuitry.

znh

Sounds like bad capacitors.
Agreed, open up and check for capacitor that is bulging at the top. Replace with one with similar Voltage and same or higher capacitance. (Caps are polarised, take note)

Likely to be an easy repair for anyone capable to operate a soldering iron

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Agreed, open up and check for capacitor that is bulging at the top. Replace with one with similar Voltage and same or higher capacitance. (Caps are polarised, take note)

Likely to be an easy repair for anyone capable to operate a soldering iron

And prepared to get their hands dirty, and not afraid to test their basic skills in fault finding. But then who fixes anything anymore?

Barrymore

From all the replies I assume it is in fact the monitor that is the problem and not some software problem.
Seems like it is time to buy a new monitor.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
From all the replies I assume it is in fact the monitor that is the problem and not some software problem.
Seems like it is time to buy a new monitor.
Not quite. It could be a driver issue triggered by an update to a new driver that is not suitable for your monitor.

Barrymore

Try it on another PC to confirm.
I think that's the best bet. I watched a video where four capacitors were replaced on the identical monitor as mine.
It was basically stripped down to the board before the capacitors could be reached.

ponder

Honorary Master
I think that's the best bet. I watched a video where four capacitors were replaced on the identical monitor as mine.
It was basically stripped down to the board before the capacitors could be reached.
Capacitors are cheap to replace.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Replace the 3 x 470uF 25V Caps on the power board.

Should take about 15 minutes to get the monitor opened, and caps replaced, so no more then 30 min to repair by any average electronics repair place.

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvewbD-a6c

Caps are indicated at 1:44.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Capacitors are cheap to replace.
IF you can get them!

Becoming increasingly difficult to source electronic components, especially in small quantities.

BTW if you go that way replace all the capacitors on the PSU you can find and have spares for. The effort is in opening the device not the work to replace.

Barrymore

An LG 21:9 ultra wide monitor has just been delivered to replace my problematic old 17" monitor.
Being an "old timer" I am not sure how to go about changing them. Do I first remove existing drivers?
Do I connect new monitor then install the included CD?
How will the existing games and screensaver resolutions be affected?
Some basic guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Just plug it in and then adjust the resolution if it differs.

ponder

Honorary Master
Plug it in an adjust the resolution in windows if it differs from your previous monitor. See if windows correctly recognises the display, if not you can try the cd.

Barrymore

Just plug it in and then adjust the resolution if it differs.
I have just set up my new monitor. Resolution is 2560 x 1080. All my game screen shots now do not fill the full width of the screen, some only half the width.

ponder

Honorary Master
I have just set up my new monitor. Resolution is 2560 x 1080. All my game screen shots now do not fill the full width of the screen, some only half the width.
Go into the games settings and change the resolution there as they run independently from your windows desktop resolution. Some older games do not run at 21:9 resolutions unless you edit an ini file or download a patched exe.