Moving my fibre line

DeTector

Expert Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
387
Location
Somerset West, Stellenbosch
Hey everyone,

Hope someone can shed some light on my incoming head ache.

I currently live in an estate and have fibre with Supersonic via SADV / Vumatel.

However I am moving to a different unit in the same estate over the weekend and if I wanted to move my fibre over to the new unit without too much hassle can anyone advise on the correct process to follow?

Any tips or advice from someone with experience would be much appreciated.

I am hopeful that I won't have too much downtime?

P.S. the new unit already has a fibre CPE mounted inside not sure if it is connected from outside though
 
Last edited:
Try to contact your ISP. They assist with the moving of fibre. You will most likely have to pay an activation fee.

I predict some mighty butthurt, as most people receive atrocious support from Supersonic. Goodluck.
 
Hey everyone,

Hope someone can shed some light on my incoming head ache.

I currently live in an estate and have fibre with Supersonic via SADV / Vumatel.

However I am moving to a different unit in the same estate over the weekend and if I wanted to move my fibre over to the new unit without too much hassle can anyone advise on the correct process to follow?

Any tips or advice from someone with experience would be much appreciated.

I am hopeful that I won't have too much downtime?

P.S. the new unit already has a fibre CPE mounted inside not sure if it is connected from outside though
You can't.

The process is cancel
Submit new application
 
Fibre is tied to the unit. Cancel your fibre. Open account for new unit. Goodluck with the delays in closing an account and opening a new one.

Maybe they are nice people and make the process easier.
 
Hey everyone,

Hope someone can shed some light on my incoming head ache.

I currently live in an estate and have fibre with Supersonic via SADV / Vumatel.

However I am moving to a different unit in the same estate over the weekend and if I wanted to move my fibre over to the new unit without too much hassle can anyone advise on the correct process to follow?

Any tips or advice from someone with experience would be much appreciated.

I am hopeful that I won't have too much downtime?

P.S. the new unit already has a fibre CPE mounted inside not sure if it is connected from outside though

Contact whoever installed your connection at your current location. They should be able to simply transfer your service to the new point within the complex.
Try to contact your ISP. They assist with the moving of fibre. You will most likely have to pay an activation fee.

I predict some mighty butthurt, as most people receive atrocious support from Supersonic. Goodluck.
Fibre is NOT moved! The service over fibre is moved.
In the same complex served by the same infrastructure provider, the change is a simple association change between ports.
 
Contact whoever installed your connection at your current location. They should be able to simply transfer your service to the new point within the complex.

Fibre is NOT moved! The service over fibre is moved.
In the same complex served by the same infrastructure provider, the change is a simple association change between ports.

In South Africa's service delivery there is no such thing as simple.

The simplest option is where you have the most control.

Cancel existing. Open new one.


Waiting for new update

"fibre service stuck in state of transfer and cannot open new account until current transfer has been sorted, Vumatel waiting for Supersonic, Supersonic say they waiting for Vumatel, please help"

:ROFL:
 
Contact whoever installed your connection at your current location. They should be able to simply transfer your service to the new point within the complex.

Fibre is NOT moved! The service over fibre is moved.
In the same complex served by the same infrastructure provider, the change is a simple association change between ports.
Thanks for your response. Got jittery so phoned Supersonic. They can relocate my current service to the new unit. 7-14 day turnaround though, really wished I knew earlier of my upcoming move. But hopeful this timeline is if they have to lay fibre to the unit. Might be much quicker in the end.
 
Thanks for your response. Got jittery so phoned Supersonic. They can relocate my current service to the new unit. 7-14 day turnaround though, really wished I knew earlier of my upcoming move. But hopeful this timeline is if they have to lay fibre to the unit. Might be much quicker in the end.
You did say that the new unit already has the fibre termination and ONT available?
 
This will NEVER happen.

You can transfer it. With Vumatel the installation is linked to an address. Let's say they are able to move it to the other unit (which will never happen) then your install will still be linked to your old unit number hogging the address so the new tenant can't get fibre.

There is no transfering of fibre eeven if you moved from Unit 2 to Unit 3 the only process is cancel and signup.
 
Thanks for your response. Got jittery so phoned Supersonic. They can relocate my current service to the new unit. 7-14 day turnaround though, really wished I knew earlier of my upcoming move. But hopeful this timeline is if they have to lay fibre to the unit. Might be much quicker in the end.
You did say that the new unit already has a fibre termination and ONT installed?
 
This will NEVER happen.

You can transfer it. With Vumatel the installation is linked to an address. Let's say they are able to move it to the other unit (which will never happen) then your install will still be linked to your old unit number hogging the address so the new tenant can't get fibre.

There is no transfering of fibre eeven if you moved from Unit 2 to Unit 3 the only process is cancel and signup.
Unbelievably stupid OSS and BSS implementation. Pathetic is the only word to describe it!
 
This will NEVER happen.

You can transfer it. With Vumatel the installation is linked to an address. Let's say they are able to move it to the other unit (which will never happen) then your install will still be linked to your old unit number hogging the address so the new tenant can't get fibre.

There is no transfering of fibre eeven if you moved from Unit 2 to Unit 3 the only process is cancel and signup.
Hi AfriNatic,

Why would they say they can relocate if not possible? I am sure I am not the first person with this request.

I believe you must know what you are talking about since you are at Afrihost.

I am really not looking for a long difficult road ahead
 
Hi AfriNatic,

Why would they say they can relocate if not possible? I am sure I am not the first person with this request.

I believe you must know what you are talking about since you are at Afrihost.

I am really not looking for a long difficult road ahead

Hi,

Yes it's not. As you mentioned Supersonic is assisting you but the process is essentially a cancel the old line and ordering a new install or migrate in at the new property and then the ISP makes sure the billing is sorted.

We do assist clients with this process as well.

The old migration method of Telkom adsl unfortunately does not apply to fibre.

The problem with this is if there is a new install required at the new place the install fee and activation fee will be charged by the FNO so just make sure that the claw back amount does not increase if you do this as I would imagine it will.
 
Hi,

Yes it's not. As you mentioned Supersonic is assisting you but the process is essentially a cancel the old line and ordering a new install or migrate in at the new property and then the ISP makes sure the billing is sorted.

We do assist clients with this process as well.

The old migration method of Telkom adsl unfortunately does not apply to fibre.

The problem with this is if there is a new install required at the new place the install fee and activation fee will be charged by the FNO so just make sure that the claw back amount does not increase if you do this as I would imagine it will.
Okay so best thing will be to just cancel (30 days notice) and sign up with a new provider?
 
The only part of Afrinic response that makes sense is that a physical fibre connection will never be moved from one address to another.
But the service provided over the fibre can be moved from one connection point to another.
If I was in charge of this part of a network, I would be challenging the staff to do the move so transparently that the client does not even notice it.
The same complex the same FNO, the same ISP. All that is required is for the client to phone in and say "I am disconnecting now (within working hours) and by the time he plugs in at the new point everything is working.
If the FNO and the ISP can't achieve this with all the notice they have been given, then their entire operation is just a disgraceful farce.
In the old days someone would have to use a 125W soldering iron to move a jumper on an MDF!
Today just about all of this is a couple of changes in a OSS and BSS system and MAYBE a f@cking patch cable to be moved!
 
Last edited:
A classic example of coming up with a thousand excuses why something can't be done instead of coming up with a way to make it happen!
Clearly, I have too much faith in the abilities of the modern telco industries and their useless managements!
 
The only part of Afrinic response that makes sense is that a physical fibre connection will never be moved from one address to another.
But the service provided over the fibre can be moved from one connection point to another.
If I was in charge of this part of a network, I would be challenging the staff to do the move so transparently that the client does not even notice it.
The same complex the same FNO, the same ISP. All that is required is for the client to phone in and say "I am disconnecting now (within working hours) and by the time he plugs in at the new point everything is working.
If the FNO and the ISP can't achieve this with all the notice they have been given, then their entire operation is just a disgraceful farce.
In the old days someone would have to use a 25W soldering iron to move a jumper on an MDF!
Today just about all of this is a couple of changes in a OSS and BSS system and MAYBE a f@cking patch cable to be moved!
Stop being clever, lower your expectations.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X