MS Teams/SFB Local Breakout

H8rlequin

Hi All.

I perhaps have a incomplete understanding of teams/SFB and would like to ask for a bit of assistance.
As I understand it, SFB has two options, cloud and on premise. As far as I know cloud is not available in SA yet as MS would need to partner with a local ITSP to do the breakout/billing etc.

With Teams, I believe it's purely cloud based and again there is no local breakout. Although I have heard some people using SBC's and doing their own local breakout. Anyone care to shed some light for me on this?

Any help would be appreciated!

RandomGeek

Afternoon.

Regarding Teams, the option you are after is Teams Direct Routing*. MS Teams DR (in the cloud, not yet in SA for us) does the call routing, leaving you to source a SIP Trunk for your break-in and break-out calls.

The SIP Trunk requires:
1) SBC, hosted by you or by your telco. Link of certified SBCs below.
2) Local telco for break-in/break out, telco providing SIP Trunk, billing for minutes consumed etc.

There is nothing stopping you from buying your own SBC, setting up a SIP trunk to your favourite telco and you should be in business.

To my knowledge local telcos do not yet offer this integrated product but it can only be a matter of months before they do.

* MS also offers the "Calling Plan" option where they also do the break-in/break-out but this is not available in SA.

List of certified SBCs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-border-controllers

H8rlequin

Thanks, that makes sense... Anyone know of a good course by MS (or anyone else) on the technical aspects of SFB/Teams/O365?