MTN’s big battery theft problem

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
MTN’s big battery theft problem

MTN is struggling to combat theft and vandalism of its backup batteries and copper wiring at its network sites.

In a press statement, MTN said that it is focused on keeping customers connected despite the extensive nature of load-shedding, but criminals are making the task challenging.

Jola

Honorary Master
Don't know how they are going to resolve this, SA is just a crime shytehole of note.

I don't see any practical solutions.

konfab

Honorary Master
Put a decoy battery in a tower targeted by these expropriators.

Decoy battery weighs the same as the normal batteries and has batteries in it which outputs 48 volts.
Decoy battery has GPS inside it which starts reporting location the moment it is disconnected from mains.
Once it is reconnected to a large current draw, the controller sets off the C4 explosives in the battery.

All law enforcement has to do is simply follow the GPS breadcrumb trail and pick up the pieces.

Customer1

Don't know how they are going to resolve this, SA is just a crime shytehole of note.

I don't see any practical solutions.
I wouldn't try to resolve it. Take a high-density area, once the equipment is stolen, don't replace it. Instead, make a massive billboard explaining why you have no connectivity during load-shedding.

Looking at history, (e.g. https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Mob-stones-robber-to-death-20120507) large communities have the tendency to take matters into their own hands once it starts affecting them personally.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
MTN said that it is focused on keeping customers connected.
Lol yeah right. The company's focus is to send more spam. I moved over to Rain Mobile just to get rid of it hogging my spam folder.

falcon786

Executive Member
I wouldn't try to resolve it. Take a high-density area, once the equipment is stolen, don't replace it. Instead, make a massive billboard explaining why you have no connectivity during load-shedding.

Looking at history, (e.g. https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Mob-stones-robber-to-death-20120507) large communities have the tendency to take matters into their own hands once it starts affecting them personally.
Well that's the dumbest thing I've heard this year so far.

I'm a paying MTN customer in a semi rural area,these idiots stole the batteries and for the last 2 weeks when there were power outages I had to drive 4km away from work to make an urgent phone call.

Yes I know you said high density area but even there why should normal citizens suffer for criminal behaviour or even know who they are? GPS trackers will serve these companies better in finding their equipment and for a relatively low cost

Guys, does anybody have a 48V lithium ion battery and 48V-12V converter for sale? Don't have much cash so only want second hand please.

Okty

But confusing here, are they stealing 12v lead acid batteries, or 48v li ion batteries?