MTN Call Centre Completely Down?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Today, 2019-09-11, MTNs customer service centre is completely down.

135 does not allow any transfers to an operator, only the non-sensical automatic options seem to work.
083 135 from another network just gives NU tone.
calls to 011 912 3000 now also go unanswered. This morning at least this switchboard was answering calls.
Transfers to customer care from that switchboard gives a message " Customer Care is closed"

What is going on???

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I see no one else seems to have a problem?
Well, I have since checked many of MTNs so-called "new shortcodes" as per ICASA regulations, and very few of them are working!
Whereas, as a comparison with Vodcam, where ALL the shortcodes are working.

BTW, anyone with MTN Business services do not try and use the 135 code, it just does not work.
And so is the main switchboard --- mostly down or unavailable.
The only number that seems to work for MTN Business customer services is 083 123 1800.

And BTW, If anyone has an issue with their voicemail services suddenly being blocked and requiring a password, there is no customer-driven reset available, IF you have forgotten your password or had it set for you by MTN. Your only recourse is to log a fault and then wait and wait, and wait, and wait ....................

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You are lucky then. No one answered the main number from 10:00 to about 12:30. Before that, the mainboard would transfer you to customer services where you would get a message that "Customer Services is closed".
And then only after getting nasty was I put through to Business Customer Services.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Meh. Didnt even notice. As did many others judging by the activity in this thread. This is what happens when your "customer service" is sht to start with.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So, to complete this particular disaster, the following feedback:

I finally managed to log a fault yesterday with the business operator on 083 123 1800 from my trusty old fixed-line,
and got a reference number.

This morning on following up on the reference number (note, MTN did NOTHING about notifying me that the password reset had been done, YOU have to phone back and wait and wait and wait), to get the feedback.

I was then informed that MTN, according to the operator, set a password on all voicemail services. You no longer have any choice -- you have to make use of a password by default, and IF you do not want to use that password on your phone, you have to bypass the password step on your phone. The default is probably the last 7 digits of your mobile number. Not sure if you can change the password yet, still trying to find out what the options are.

A pretty stupid choice, which is easily compromised anyway, making the whole idea stillborn as a security measure in my opinion.

To change the default password is a mission.

The Voicemail mailbox can be protected by a PIN.
The Voicemail password can be set by dialling 132 and selecting option 4 to "access personal options", then option 4 to "modify personal preferences", then option 1 to "change Voicemail password".
What a lot of PT!

Find all this cr@p about MTNs voicemail service here:

Last edited: