• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

MTN data going fast

gvzijl

Good day,

I recently switched from Vodacom to MTN as data provider. at Vodacom we used about 3GB of data each month with normal use, but, on MTN, for roughly the same use, we need about 8GB of data. This has been occurring for about 5 months now.
Could it be that MTN uses more data than Vodacom?
Has anyone had the same experience?
Any comments?

George

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Good day,

I recently switched from Vodacom to MTN as data provider. at Vodacom we used about 3GB of data each month with normal use, but, on MTN, for roughly the same use, we need about 8GB of data. This has been occurring for about 5 months now.
Could it be that MTN uses more data than Vodacom?
Has anyone had the same experience?
Any comments?

George
OK, MTN sometimes have data billing issues, which might be a reason.

What do you do with the data?

Maybe the MTN network is just better there and thus, if you watch YouTube it streams at a higher quality and consumes more data.

Are there windows computers using the data connection? Feature update to Windows 10 - 1803 will have used data over the past 2 months.

Last edited:

Voldemort

Death eater
I agree with this ^^ probably just a better network quality, there's also the case of the recent Win 10 update...

gvzijl

OK, MTN sometimes have data billing issues, which might be a reason.

What do you do with the data?

Maybe the MTN network is just better there and thus, if you watch YouTube it streams at a higher quality and consumes more data.

Are there windows computers using the data connection? Feature update to Windows 10 - 1803 will have used data over the past 2 months.
Thanks for the replies. I do not think this is the issue though.
As to the windows updates: Both the computers running are set as metered connections
As to the supposedly superior MTN connection: We do not generally do things like Youtube (once in a while maybe). Yesterday I used more than 500 MB just doing normal stuff like checking and replying to emails. Previously this would have used maybe 200 MB. I am still using the old Vodacom dongle, so even with better signal, the dongle would restrict the signal type (as far as I understand). I did previously ask MTN if the dongle could have anything to do with it, but they said it does not.
Again, thanks a lot, it seems I will have to go see MTN again.

marioat1

Trusting windows updates to respect metered connection settings is saying where your data actually went, by now your data usage probably stabilised.
Rather just disable windows updates.

qscwbt

Expert Member
I have the same Issue with eMtyN. They also seem to expire the data nit used in a few days.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Thanks for the replies. I do not think this is the issue though.
As to the windows updates: Both the computers running are set as metered connections
As to the supposedly superior MTN connection: We do not generally do things like Youtube (once in a while maybe). Yesterday I used more than 500 MB just doing normal stuff like checking and replying to emails. Previously this would have used maybe 200 MB. I am still using the old Vodacom dongle, so even with better signal, the dongle would restrict the signal type (as far as I understand). I did previously ask MTN if the dongle could have anything to do with it, but they said it does not.
Again, thanks a lot, it seems I will have to go see MTN again.
....errr ...

Go dig around. You will see the minimum you can set it to on metered connection is 5GB cap/cut off. So they(MS) do not really respect the metered connection.
Further make sure that the PCs are set not to share the DL data with PCs on your network or on the internet.
And remember every time the update fails it starts again when the pc is on again or once it has more data.

Further also note that every so often windows will force the update as updates on win10 can only be postponed but never permanently disabled.

BillyG

I notice in the MTN July 2018 catalogue in the Terms and Conditions they say "All data sessions are charged at a minimum of R0.03 excluding vat. What is a data session? Does this mean that you will be charged a minimum of R0.03 for every Whatsapp message sent or received if you are on any MTNChoice Flexi Bundle (where you are allocated only airtime not specifically data or voice values) Does one message in our out count as a 'data session'? Does a weather update, a check for email, or any other data poll from a phone cost at least R0.03? Does this affect whatsapp costs on other packages where it seems MTN bills minimum 1KB sessions vs Vodacom 10KB, cell C 25KB. Telkom 35kb (https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/224384-minimum-data-charges-on-vodacom-and-mtn.htm)
So MTN charges R0.03c for a 1KB session vs Vodacom R0.01c/10KB session vs Cell C R0.01/25KB and Telkom R0.01/35.3KB