MTN status on eSIM, VoLTE (iPhone) and WifiCalling

DemonSplicer

Hey MTN - so, Vodacom (and RAIN shortly on it's heels with eSIM) seemingly adopted all three of these really great features which is a desperate need on MTN...

When can we expect to see this coming to MTN?

1) eSIM support - various new eSIM devices + Apple & Samsung Watches?
2) VoLTE support - this seemingly exist for some devices on your network (I think you call it HD Voice?)? Other devices were promised to launch access to VoLTE in Q4 2018 - does not look like it ever did?
3) Wifi Calling - ??? I think you missed the bus on this completely...

Fcon_Vpro

Hey MTN - so, Vodacom (and RAIN shortly on it's heels with eSIM) seemingly adopted all three of these really great features which is a desperate need on MTN...

When can we expect to see this coming to MTN?

1) eSIM support - various new eSIM devices + Apple & Samsung Watches?
2) VoLTE support - this seemingly exist for some devices on your network (I think you call it HD Voice?)? Other devices were promised to launch access to VoLTE in Q4 2018 - does not look like it ever did?
3) Wifi Calling - ??? I think you missed the bus on this completely...
I have been waiting years for Wifi calling. Fortunately MTN's signal is pretty good that I dont need it in the areas where I spend most of my time. However it would be beneficial especially when travelling but I dont do it often.
I never understand the argument where people say that networks lose money with wifi calling. They get the benefit of piggybacking off someone elses data connection without having to necessarily have amazing coverage everywhere, and then still earn revenue on calls. Seems win-win to me. With most residential areas getting ftth and not allowing new cell masts to go up, seems even more win-win to me.

So my priority has switched to VoLTE/HD Voice. I often use my iphone as a wireless hotspot, and as soon as I get a call, then LTE drops and 3G just has no data throughput. It seems that iphone would be the easiest to add to the service because iOS is similar on all iphones whereas everyone else has a different implementation of android.
But maybe thats why they are holding back to control the uptake of the service slowly and iPhone would be a massive addition to the service.

I can definitely see where they could lose with eSIM, but at the same time, it just means that someone could get vodacom esim and mtn physical sim... ie the same result whether esim MTN + physical Voda vs esim Voda + Physical MTN. So they better off showing they a technology leader by implementing the technology before others.

Instead their focus is on instant messaging :X3: . What can they offer that whatsapp, wechat, facebook messenger, skype, imessage and telegram dont offer already. South Africa is a terrible market for mobile money because we have a strong banking system and with tyme bank, bank zero, etc coming around, I just dont see what they are going to offer that is unique.

travcaine

I just made a call on my iPhone and stayed on LTE, has MTN activated VoLTE?

Fcon_Vpro

I just made a call on my iPhone and stayed on LTE, has MTN activated VoLTE?
Mine didnt work this morning. Lost connectivity while driving and taking a call.
Dont know if anything changed in last 5 hours

travcaine

Mine didnt work this morning. Lost connectivity while driving and taking a call.
Dont know if anything changed in last 5 hours
Have you updated to the latest iOS? When I did it also prompted a carrier update. I made another call now and still remained on LTE and managed to use facebook during the call as well.

Fcon_Vpro

Have you updated to the latest iOS? When I did it also prompted a carrier update. I made another call now and still remained on LTE and managed to use facebook during the call as well.
Not yet. I’ll test ASAP and reply on the thread once I know.

neoprema

Expert Member
MTN won't be implementing anything new for a while after those CEO/CFO bonuses and salaries lol...

Fcon_Vpro

I did the update to 12.2 but I didnt receive any new carrier updates.
Tested this morning and as soon as I dialed it dropped from LTE to 3G.
Ill try see if I can force a carrier update.

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member
I've had VoLTE since December 2018 on Samsung S8. Same with Wi-Fi calling; have option to use Wi-Fi calling, but never had the opportunity to use it.

cavedog

Honorary Master
How about VoLTE on the S10? MTN and Vodacom?
VoLTE has been available on Vodacom for ages even the S8. I now have the S10 and inserted my sim into the s10 and VoLTE and Vowifi automatically worked on the S10 too.

Tector

VoLTE has been available on Vodacom for ages even the S8. I now have the S10 and inserted my sim into the s10 and VoLTE and Vowifi automatically worked on the S10 too.
Thanks cavedog. I am on a S9 on Voda so know it is working just wanted to confirm if it already works on the S10. The missus is due for upgrade soon...