MTN unveils new roaming data bundles

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member

MTN has introduced new “Hello World” roaming data bundles, the company announced on 20 December.

The bundles are aimed at MTN clients who plan to travel and can be used in 21 countries where MTN has operations in Africa and the Middle East – such as Botswana and Nigeria.

labratza

Expert Member
I think this is a step in the right direction. Wish Vodacom would do the same and partner with Vodafone, so can buy cheaper data bundles and roam on Vodafone network

Ivanr

Expert Member
Vodacom "War Room" with "Secret Agent Smith" is most likely to counter act soon :)

TheMonkZa

I went overseas for a week on business. I received a gig of data each day at a total cost of about R125. No thanks to SA roaming.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
A dual sim phone is a far better solution if you travel overseas regularly. Whenever I travel to the UK, for example, I just buy a cheap 10GB data sim for about £20, pop it into my second sim slot and I've got all the data I need plus I can still roam on voice and sms on my SA sim card.

j0766

A dual sim phone is a far better solution if you travel overseas regularly. Whenever I travel to the UK, for example, I just buy a cheap 10GB data sim for about £20, pop it into my second sim slot and I've got all the data I need plus I can still roam on voice and sms on my SA sim card.
Yip I agree - if only I could get an answer to dual sim phones from MTN I would travel easy and always just pop in a local sim. Still waiting for Jacqui to reply on MTN’s stance on this ...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Yip I agree - if only I could get an answer to dual sim phones from MTN I would travel easy and always just pop in a local sim. Still waiting for Jacqui to reply on MTN’s stance on this ...
If you want a dual sim phone you have to buy it yourself off-contract. Both Vodacom and MTN's official line is that they do not sell or support dual sim phones.

j0766

Both Vodacom and MTN's official line is that they do not sell or support dual sim phones.
I forced an updated message from MTN. The message I got said “We heavily subsidize devices to make smart phones more affordable for more South Africans, which is necessary in a country where we were we offer such extensive 4G coverage, but so many people can't afford 4G devices. Our subsidisation matters and to do so - we aim to keep people on our network. We respect your decision to leave the network.”

I’m pretty disappointed. It took a long time to get an official response and while I appreciate the response, I don’t really understand the logic. They say they want to keep people ON their network but that means they assume that people with dual sim devices will automatically insert another SIM from a different network? My intention was a base sim from MTN and a data sim also from MTN instead of having to carry around a separate WiFi router to address data costs. I travel a lot and one sim means I disconnect from MTN while away altogether. Also making smart phones affordable at the cost of paying excessive prices for data seems very disingenuous. It is clear though that they seemed to have made a choice and plan to stick to it. I have downgraded my two contracts of over R1000 a month to data only contracts of R299 pm still with MTN so It is a net loss for them.

I have to admit I wasn’t shocked to see the #NoRechargingForMTN campaign, as they are seemingly misreading their customer base and the reciprocal support for their “subsidizing”

dunkyd

Expert Member
She still there ? Hops like a rabbit.

Daruk

Honorary Master

MTN has introduced new “Hello World” roaming data bundles, the company announced on 20 December.

The bundles are aimed at MTN clients who plan to travel and can be used in 21 countries where MTN has operations in Africa and the Middle East – such as Botswana and Nigeria.
I'd just get a local SIM. Cheaper than switching to MTN lol.

j0766

She still there ? Hops like a rabbit.
Yip been there for a while and actually responded via Twitter. Took a while and she believed a team was responding which they didn’t do. Regardless the response and stance explains why MTN will fall in time - they lack real interest in the customer base and focus on short term profit ...