MTN vs Vodacom disappearing airtime tests

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
MTN vs Vodacom disappearing airtime tests

The phenomenon of "disappearing airtime" reared its ugly head again recently, with many customers reporting that their airtime was vanishing despite their devices not being used.

After an investigation into a large number of cases reported on MTN's network, MyBroadband discovered that this was the result of fraudulent subscriptions to WASP services.

Nicholas T

I can show you proof of Cell C charging Out of Bundle rates when you still have Data! They are monsters!

This will mostly affect uneducated naughty web surfers that dont have any web security installed on there PC`s or mobile devices e.g Adblockers, Anti Phishing etc.

TitusNovemberAlpha

It's not airtime that's the issue , it's Data. DATA keeps disappearing , if you want to test it. Look at an iPhone data usage it is absolutely ridiculous the rate of consumption on those particular models.

IPhone X
Iphone 5

Iphone XS

Do a test on those devices, and extend the duration to 7 days.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This will mostly affect uneducated naughty web surfers that dont have any web security installed on there PC`s or mobile devices e.g Adblockers, Anti Phishing etc.

Are you saying MyBroadBand staff are uneducated naughty web surfers on their test SIM? :unsure:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It's not airtime that's the issue , it's Data. DATA keeps disappearing , if you want to test it. Look at an iPhone data usage it is absolutely ridiculous the rate of consumption on those particular models.

IPhone X
Iphone 5

Iphone XS

Do a test on those devices, and extend the duration to 7 days.

It's both actually or are you saying no one is saying their airtime is disappearing? But generally it's the phones themselves using the data due to how they were set up by the users (things like iCloud in the Apple case), mostly accidentally.

loftycrane

I am 77 years old and have a contract with Vodacom for R50 pm. My pension is R1600pm. This November my airtime was wiped out in 3 days. Zero calls made. On contacting Vodacom I was told I had a subscription to Nairmovies for R15/day. they canceled the subscription but refused to reimburse me. Couldn't or did not know how to!! Also couldn't explain how this occurred!

Are you saying MyBroadBand staff are uneducated naughty web surfers on their test SIM? :unsure:

I have have recently seen these type of popups come up on a unprotected device using both networks. mainly when you are looking for illegal apps especially those illegal streaming sites e.g live sports, series. And no i was not referring to MyBroadband staff being uneducated.