Mumford & Sons

Brentontw

So Mumford&Sons announce they're playing 3 concerts in South Africa, tickets go live and OBVIOUSLY computicket can't handle the load... Concerts sold out in 1 minute and 22 seconds... I need to see these guys live:(

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why do you need to see these guys live?

I'm honestly very surprised that the Durban show sold out that quickly though, its a good sign that maybe more decent international acts will head our way.

Necropolis

Executive Member
I was tasked with buying tickets this morning - got 4 without issue.

Brentontw

Why do you need to see these guys live?

I'm honestly very surprised that the Durban show sold out that quickly though, its a good sign that maybe more decent international acts will head our way.
They are possibly one of the most demanded bands in the world at the moment. Their music is incredible and up to their latest album, Wilder Minds, they didn't follow mainstream style.

Well in the past few years we've had the likes of Coldplay, U2, Bon Jovi, The Script and One Republic play here and those are among the biggest names in the industry. Then also Justin Bieber and One Direction but lets face it, they're just concerts full of 12 year olds. So who else are you hoping comes here out of curiosity?

Electric

Honorary Master
Well I for one am hoping some real bands come to SA.
Slipknot and Iron Maiden are a start.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
They can be the most demanded band in the universe... doesn't mean you need to see them.. you really really want to see them would be considerably more accurate.

As for my reference to more decent international acts, I'm referring specifically to Durban.

Btw, The Script and One Republic are by far and away nowhere near the biggest names in the industry.

They are possibly one of the most demanded bands in the world at the moment. Their music is incredible and up to their latest album, Wilder Minds, they didn't follow mainstream style
They also headlined Glastonbury... This is quite the coup for Hilltop to pull them instead of Big Concerts, so chuffed about that. Although judging by the shyte at the last 2 koppi's I think they pushed most of the budget into them.

Brentontw

Well I for one am hoping some real bands come to SA.
Slipknot and Iron Maiden are a start.
Not my definition of "real bands" but to each his own. To the best of my knowledge Iron Maiden is set to perform in South Africa in the near future but I stand to correction.

Brentontw

They also headlined Glastonbury... This is quite the coup for Hilltop to pull them instead of Big Concerts, so chuffed about that. Although judging by the shyte at the last 2 koppi's I think they pushed most of the budget into them.
This year's koppi was decent, Twin Atlantic and Gogol Bordello were two incredible international artists not to mention the local talent we had there with the likes of Shortstraw and Matthew Mole (Granted wasn't his best set) but I thought this year was a jol!

This year's koppi was decent, Twin Atlantic and Gogol Bordello were two incredible international artists not to mention the local talent we had there with the likes of Shortstraw and Matthew Mole (Granted wasn't his best set) but I thought this year was a jol!
The last 2 years: Gogol Bordello, Brand New, Twin Atlantic, Wolfmother, Editors, Aloe Blacc... Besides Wolfmother they hardly hold a candle to: Deftones, Bullet for My Valentine, Seether, Enter Shikari, Eagles of Death Metal, Sum 41, The Used, Billy Talent etc.

The local acts are always fantastic and it's always a jol but the int' bands have been disappointing the last 2 years

Brentontw

They can be the most demanded band in the universe... doesn't mean you need to see them.. you really really want to see them would be considerably more accurate.

As for my reference to more decent international acts, I'm referring specifically to Durban.

Btw, The Script and One Republic are by far and away nowhere near the biggest names in the industry.
Good lord are you going to be THAT guy...

They might not be the biggest but as for being nowhere near the biggest names. I think you need to go have a look at the industry again...

Electric

Honorary Master
Not my definition of "real bands" but to each his own. To the best of my knowledge Iron Maiden is set to perform in South Africa in the near future but I stand to correction.
I mentioned those 2 because they are both coming to SA in 2016.
You don't define them as real bands?
So what are they then?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Good lord are you going to be THAT guy...

They might not be the biggest but as for being nowhere near the biggest names. I think you need to go have a look at the industry again...
Yes I will be THAT guy.

I am very aware of the industry actually.

Kerrang don't list them in their top 60 bands as of Dec 2014
They don't feature on Wiki's list of best selling music artists
They don't feature on MusicRadar's top 40 live acts of 2015
They don't feature on Rolling Stones 50 greatest bands of right now.

Brentontw

I mentioned those 2 because they are both coming to SA in 2016.
You don't define them as real bands?
So what are they then?
Ah ok, I thought I'd seen their names around for dates in South Africa.
Well by your comment of "Well I for one am hoping some real bands come to SA." makes it sound as if you don't see mumford and sons as a real band, but to me they're more of a real band than slipknot who I generally just classify as noise... But that's my opinion, a lot of people don't enjoy my music and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Brentontw

Yes I will be THAT guy.

I am very aware of the industry actually.

Kerrang don't list them in their top 60 bands as of Dec 2014
They don't feature on Wiki's list of best selling music artists
They don't feature on MusicRadar's top 40 live acts of 2015
They don't feature on Rolling Stones 50 greatest bands of right now.
There's always one I suppose :)

Well done mate you know how to google. What you fail to understand is an artist can be one of the biggest names in the music industry without featuring on those lists. All of The Scripts albums have gone multi platinum, same for One Republic. The influence they have in music circles is huge.

Those magazines and websites are a huge popularity contest, I mean since when does Rolling Stone feature Kendrick Lamar and Drake let alone name their albums some of the best of 2015... You're basing your opinion of how good an act is live based on someone else's subjective opinion...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Each to their own..

I see The Script and One Republic as pop stars, and 2nd rate ones at that.. not huge industry names at all.