Municipal wayleaves

ronald911

Expert Member
An FNO recently applied for wayleaves to trench & install fibre in our town on the kzn south coast a few weeks ago, still waiting for the outcome. Insider info says it should happen soon as they just need one more signature from the municipal manager.

Just out of curiosity, for those who's been through it in the past, how long does it usually take? Is it common for fibre wayleaves not to be approved, etc?

Cheers

Drifter

Honorary Master
Took about a week for them to trench, lay fibre and close up at my place, just about 2 weeks ago or so.

VettieOriginal

An FNO recently applied for wayleaves to trench & install fibre in our town on the kzn south coast a few weeks ago, still waiting for the outcome. Insider info says it should happen soon as they just need one more signature from the municipal manager.

Just out of curiosity, for those who's been through it in the past, how long does it usually take? Is it common for fibre wayleaves not to be approved, etc?

Cheers
Very Difficult question to answer, but basically comes down to a few things
a. How effective you municipality is.
b. Has the FNO paid over the deposit amounts
c. Do the ward counselors/ public agree

Once way leave is approved the build depending on size can take any thing from 1 month to 6 month or even longer.

There is also a lot of other factors involved to give an estimate on time is as below
1. Areal or trenched fibre
2. Road cuts allowed?
3. Are they allowed to go thru drive ways or must they drill?
4. How hard is the ground ect

So yea at least the interest is there so that is good news.

VettieOriginal

But the person that could give even more clarity on this is @pinball wizard. He also as the how and when ect. my knowledge is limited and only what i observed.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Very Difficult question to answer, but basically comes down to a few things
a. How effective you municipality is.
b. Has the FNO paid over the deposit amounts
c. Do the ward counselors/ public agree
That covers most of it. Some FNO's of course make the contractor apply for the wayleave and pay the deposit as part of the overall transaction.
Wayleave approval largely depends on the municipality in question. Some are slick and on the ball, others are slack and take forever, and still others (yes, Tshwane, I'm talking about you) have made it nearly impossible to get a wayleave.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Once way leave is approved the build depending on size can take any thing from 1 month to 6 month or even longer.

There is also a lot of other factors involved to give an estimate on time is as below
1. Areal or trenched fibre
2. Road cuts allowed?
3. Are they allowed to go thru drive ways or must they drill?
4. How hard is the ground ect

So yea at least the interest is there so that is good news.
Road cuts would have been part of the wayleave application, so that would be covered.
Driveways on the road reserve (pavement) technically belong to the municipality so we dig. Only few and far between will be mole under if we can't get replacement pavers for a specific driveway - I've only seen that once in the last 6 years or so though.

VettieOriginal

That covers most of it. Some FNO's of course make the contractor apply for the wayleave and pay the deposit as part of the overall transaction.
Wayleave approval largely depends on the municipality in question. Some are slick and on the ball, others are slack and take forever, and still others (yes, Tshwane, I'm talking about you) have made it nearly impossible to get a wayleave.
There deposit is a joke, and yet Openserve just do what they want with regards to areal fibre. so yea

werny

Expert Member
Wayleave approvals can be a real pain in the @ss!

Took CoCT almost 4 months to approve all the wayleaves in order for DFA to trench a 100 meters onto our business premises, yes, a mere 100 meters... Apparently had to be signed by 6 different people and 2 of them took forever, just because they can. DFA and Bitco had to jump through many hoops to get it sorted, and I suspect the only reason they did that was because we took the premium 1Gbps business account, back then it was top of the line and expensive as hell.

Just glad it's done and we decided to wait it out, nothing beats a stable dedicated business fibre connection.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu