MWEB Talk Discontinued - Forced Migration

quovadis

Expert Member
Hi All,

I've been an MWEB (really Internet Solutions) Talk customer for many years now with a number of inbound numbers assigned to myself and business. Their service was ideal as I could have multiple numbers and only pay for the call charges with no fixed monthly fee.

On June 11th I was informed via email that this service would be terminated as of end of July 2020. I contacted their call centre and was advised that to retain my numbers I would have to open multiple R59 VOIP monthly service accounts (the lowest option) as each service can only have 1 number allocated and I have a calendar month in order to either opt for this service migration or lose the numbers.

Now, I have no issue with paying a monthly fee for 'x' minutes however being forced to purchase a bundle of minutes per number allocated to retain my multiple inbound numbers seems to be a little extortive in nature.

Anyone else in the same boat?

desmondk

Company Rep
Hi,

Please send me a PM. I provide inbound numbers at no cost. unlimited voice channels and low rates at the best call quality possible.

rodga

Executive Member
I also have a number with them.

Is there no way to migrate the number?

under_sky

Expert Member
Move to fresh phone, no monthly fee but it think its R120-180 per a line you move over

under_sky

Expert Member
It is R155 once off to port a geographic number, which is close to the cost price to port a number from Telkom.
Yeah it’s a once off I think the price is the same with anyone to port unless they absorb the cost themselves

But as I said I have been using FreshPHONE for my business for 2 years no issues on 3 lines and the cost saving is crazy

Top up with R200 every 4-6 months
Plus calling Sars on toll free doesn’t charge me vs most other VOIP providers do

rapidblue

Expert Member
I was hoping to port two of my numbers (I have a few at MWEB Talk but only really use two of them) over to Fresh Phone - but the actual phone numbers don't appear on the invoices so I think that might cause an issue.

So I instead called MWEB to ask if I can have two of my numbers moved over to their new VoIP product. The first lady was totally clueless and kept wanting to sell me hardware and kept informing me of the pricing to port my number to MWEB. She eventually put me on hold and (surprise surprise) cut my call after a few minutes.
I called back and spoke to another agent who seemed more clued up. She informed me that all "active" numbers will automatically be moved over to their new VoIP service (at R59 pm each) end of July. I informed her I only want 2 of them moved over so she took the numbers down and said she will let the VoIP guys know. Fingers crossed now...

quovadis

Expert Member
I was hoping to port two of my numbers (I have a few at MWEB Talk but only really use two of them) over to Fresh Phone - but the actual phone numbers don't appear on the invoices so I think that might cause an issue.

So I instead called MWEB to ask if I can have two of my numbers moved over to their new VoIP product. The first lady was totally clueless and kept wanting to sell me hardware and kept informing me of the pricing to port my number to MWEB. She eventually put me on hold and (surprise surprise) cut my call after a few minutes.
I called back and spoke to another agent who seemed more clued up. She informed me that all "active" numbers will automatically be moved over to their new VoIP service (at R59 pm each) end of July. I informed her I only want 2 of them moved over so she took the numbers down and said she will let the VoIP guys know. Fingers crossed now...
I had to insist on a migration for 2 of my numbers which I care mostly about. The result is that I signed up for 2x R59 VOIP services which were issued with two random 087 numbers and they forwarded the numbers I wanted to retain to those numbers... Not too happy about the way this was done but you have to accept it as that's all that can be done.

rapidblue

Expert Member
I had to insist on a migration for 2 of my numbers which I care mostly about. The result is that I signed up for 2x R59 VOIP services which were issued with two random 087 numbers and they forwarded the numbers I wanted to retain to those numbers... Not too happy about the way this was done but you have to accept it as that's all that can be done.
Ouch!! I really hope that won't be my case. I would still like outgoing calls to come from my numbers and not some random 087 numbers. I'll have to follow up in a few days to see if they are actually going to carry the actual numbers over or not :(

under_sky

Expert Member
Ouch!! I really hope that won't be my case. I would still like outgoing calls to come from my numbers and not some random 087 numbers. I'll have to follow up in a few days to see if they are actually going to carry the actual numbers over or not :(
Move to FreshPHONE this won’t happen with you I can promise

rapidblue

Expert Member
Move to FreshPHONE this won’t happen with you I can promise
Do you think FreshPHONE will accept the invoice for porting even if the invoice does not have the phone number on? I'll have to contact them to make sure...

under_sky

Expert Member
Do you think FreshPHONE will accept the invoice for porting even if the invoice does not have the phone number on? I'll have to contact them to make sure...
Yeah they will but they rather quick when it comes to responding. Just contact them on the site or forum

Justin@insourcenet

They have realized that they could make more off the client whether the service is being used or not.

We've got VoIP solutions at a flat rate of 63c per minute. we also provide the hardware, number porting at affordable rates.

DM me for more info