MWEB Talk (VOIP)

I'm thinking of getting fibre and with MWEB you get a free VoIP line, does this mean that all my calls are free? Or do I still pay per call etc

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
The number is free with your Mweb account. You have to pay for calls to landlines or mobile phones.

I would look for another provider for that though, their implementation and support​ for Mweb talk is terrible

Nicholas Marzio

In what way are they bad and which provider would you recommend? I live in Cape Town, Rondebosch area
I am using Mweb talk on my Fibre line and so far so good, No dropped calls and everyone has been happy with the call quality. Their web management portal could use an update but once it's configured I don't say any issue with it.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
In what way are they bad and which provider would you recommend? I live in Cape Town, Rondebosch area
You can't manage it that easily , and have to call in and talk to idiots to sort it out.

Once it's setup, it works fine, but if you have an issue you won't be able to get help easily

Also is the quality decent? Basically all I want is to be able to plug a phone into it or just use my tablet and phone to receive and make calls. As long as it works fine then thats good

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Also is the quality decent? Basically all I want is to be able to plug a phone into it or just use my tablet and phone to receive and make calls. As long as it works fine then thats good
You might need a sip client on your tablet/phone. My Xiaomi has a built in sip client so it's easy to make calls from the normal dialer

Your fibre router might have a phone connector (rj11), then you can configure the settings in the router and plug in a corded or cordless handset

I registered a VOIP account at MWEB. Works fine once it is set up correctly (not so easy since zero support available).

https://myaccount.mweb.co.za/mwebco...=TALK&promoCode=MWEBTALK&productCode=MWEBTALK

Then I use a normal analog phone (landline phone) connected to a Fanvil G100S analog telephone adaptor (ATA) connected to an ethernet port on a Huawei B618 fixed LTE router on the RAIN network.

And I use ZIOPER VoIP app on my cellphone and tablet and PC, all phoning through same MWEB account.

Naresh

Hi Tjaaksie. Im trying to find the call rates for MWEB Talk... dont find them anywhere on their website. Also, I managed to register and get into the admin section, but there is no option to add a MWEB talk account separately... is it perhaps only if you have another account with them.. like perhaps fibre, or adsl...

Dear Naresh, Sorry I do not often visit here. Click on the TAB to the left of My Admin, which is Services. There are red buttons for Rates and Add Mweb Talk Account. If not working just send them a Querry. Rates are 75c to any cell number anytime, and 31c to Telkom landline anytime. Also, on Telkom website, if you use cost calculator to see what others would be charged phoning your VOIP number from a Telkom landline, you will find it is normal landline to landline tariff - thus Telkom see your VOIP number as a landline.