MWEB & Telkom data through 1 ADSL line. Slow speeds.

Rolfeo

New Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello All,

I'm a complete newb to ADSL. I lived in the UK for a number of years where everything is fibre optic and superfast and now coming to SA and the slooooooow speeds you have is frustrating.

Onto my issue. My wife's parents have Telkom providing ADSL on a 1MB line with a 10Gig limit. Last week we signed up for MWEB 1MB uncapped. The thing is, we can still log in to our Telkom ADSL data account whilst also logging into our new MWEB data account. By being able to do this, will our speeds be very slow?

Torrents are coming down at 30kB/s, Skyping with video is impossible and I can't even get any speedtest site to load and run tests! I'm assuming that the Telkom data account will cease to function when the end of the current month we have paid for arrives. Will this increase our speeds?

We are still using our Telkom 105WR router. Will this affect speeds? I upgraded the firmware yesterday to the latest release but no noticeable gains yet. Should I change this?

So far i am not impressed with ADSL at all. How can I make it faster?

Regards,
Rolfeo
 
When you have both the Telkom ADSL & MWEB accounts connected (eg. from different PC's), then the combined speed would only be able to amount to like 1Mbps (which is around 110kB/s). You won't get a speed decrease by dialing both simultaneously over a single ADSL line.
Also take note that the only way that you can use both accounts simultaneously would be to have like 1 account being connected by the modem and another by a PC - or no account on the modem and then 2 different accounts on separate computers.

Technically you can connect to 2 (or more) ADSL accounts from a single computer, but then you'll have to specifically route the traffic to make use of both - like international traffic via the one and local traffic via the other.

Torrents may be pretty slow on MWEB uncapped.

Did you cancel your Telkom data account in the previous month? If you didn't, then it would still continue, even if you now subscribed to the MWEB account.
 
Hello All,

I'm a complete newb to ADSL. I lived in the UK for a number of years where everything is fibre optic and superfast and now coming to SA and the slooooooow speeds you have is frustrating.

Onto my issue. My wife's parents have Telkom providing ADSL on a 1MB line with a 10Gig limit. Last week we signed up for MWEB 1MB uncapped. The thing is, we can still log in to our Telkom ADSL data account whilst also logging into our new MWEB data account. By being able to do this, will our speeds be very slow?

Torrents are coming down at 30kB/s, Skyping with video is impossible and I can't even get any speedtest site to load and run tests! I'm assuming that the Telkom data account will cease to function when the end of the current month we have paid for arrives. Will this increase our speeds?

We are still using our Telkom 105WR router. Will this affect speeds? I upgraded the firmware yesterday to the latest release but no noticeable gains yet. Should I change this?

So far i am not impressed with ADSL at all. How can I make it faster?

Regards,
Rolfeo

Good Afternoon Rolfeo, Pada gives you some good advice.

Are you running all the traffic at the same time, torrents and skyping?

Have you tested the 1MB MWEB account on its own?

Please also provide me the MWEB account details via private message.
 
Is this what you need?


Modem Status

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 512
Ds Rate (Kbps) 1024
US Margin 13
DS Margin 22
Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 22
US Line Attenuation 12
Peak Cell Rate 1207 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Fast Path
DSL Statistics

Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0
 
Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Pada - yes, I cancelled the Telkom account at the same time as signing up for MWEB (the guy in the store did it for us). I was hoping that a slow speed might be indicative of 2 accounts sharing one line.

FNfal - I have read the articles, I now understand it a tiny bit better. I am going to relocate everything (modem, phone line, etc) to make sure nothing is interfering as pointed out by GedMarc's great post.

MWEB Guy - I don't Skype and download torrents at the same time, although I am trying to download torrents quite a bit. I tend to leave my PC when I am downloading torrents. I haven't run any tests yet, as I said, it is taking a while to load the sites to test from. Is the Telkom 105WR as bad as I've read elsewhere?

Thanks again. Much appreciated, guys...
 
Your line stats look ok .
Have you tried doing a speed test at the top right of this page ??
 
Just did the speedtest. The results are...

Speed Test - South African

Ping = 94ms

D/L = 0.41 Mbps
U/L = 0.28 Mbps


Speed Test - International

Ping = 226ms

D/L = 0.34Mbps
U/L = 0.36Mbps

Good quality torrents are extremely slow. Youtube takes forever to buffer so I give up...
 
Just did the speedtest. The results are...

Speed Test - South African

Ping = 94ms

D/L = 0.41 Mbps
U/L = 0.28 Mbps


Speed Test - International

Ping = 226ms

D/L = 0.34Mbps
U/L = 0.36Mbps

Good quality torrents are extremely slow. Youtube takes forever to buffer so I give up...

Did you do the speed tests with active traffic in the back ground? As I advised you via private message, our system show's two connections with separate IP's.

You only have a 1MB line, if you have multiple devices on your network speeds will be shared. You will therefore not obtain 1MB on the one device if the other is active as well.
 
I did the tests with no traffic. The two connections are ethernet from the router to my PC and the other one is the router itself so I can have wifi when I need it.

I will carry out more tests at different times to see what I can come up with.

I'm also going to be moving the router and all other connections today to see if it improves.

Cheers for the help guys...
 
It could also be that you're going through a congested exchange/DSLAM. Try doing the speedtests during different times of the day - eg. 00:00, 08:00, 13:00, 17:00

A trace route to like www.google.co.za would be more meaningful though. For that, open Command Prompt and type: tracert www.google.co.za
and press <Enter> to let it start. Once it is done you can right-click -> mark and select the results and then past it here inside code blocks to keep the format.

Lastly, why do you have to connections to your MWEB account? You only have to connect to it from your router and then your router will let the devices use that account, even if they connect via WiFi/LAN.
 
I'll start running trace routes to monitor my connection, thanks.

My router has to be connected for it to broadcast a wireless signal. I have just disconnected and reconnected a couple of times to check and that is the case. It's Telkom's 105WR router. Seemed weird to me too but that is the case.
 
Hi

I've seen clients that switch off their router too quick get assigned 2 IP's on the same line I suggest switching the router off for 15-20 mins then try,

also check out pingtest.net this should ascertain if its your line that's not good

Regards
Keegan
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X