My ADSL Conundrum

ronnie_94

Had this issue, gave up eventually trying to explain that everyone around me has this speed but it shows 4 for me and moved to lte.

Few months later the coverage map showed the right speed again.

ronnie_94

It seems like a very odd situation. Did you ever make the switch back to ADSL or did you just stay on LTE?
Lte contract is 2 years, depending where you are and speeds etc 100% worth it, 55 ping and 100+ dl speed Im staying lte until fibre becomes available.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Do you happen to know a lot of people who would choose copper over fibre if they had a choice? :rolleyes:

The more obvious conundrum is why anyone would choose Mweb as their ISP...
There might be some nutters out there, you never know ;-). I actually did choose Mweb as my ISP, haven't had any issues.

fundutzi

Assultica, the following is needed to possibly solve your issue:
a. Please provide the DSL line stats from your router.
Signal to noise, Attenuation, and line speeds.
b. If you get values of point a from your neighbour that would be excellent.
==> Now we will know the difference between the two lines.
c. Tell us the router models both you and the neighbour use.
d. Ignore the comments about fibre above. Fibre is available for a selected few in za. This will remain the case for years to come.

Last edited:

ronnie_94

Assultica, the following is needed to possibly solve your issue:
a. Please provide the DSL line stats from your router.
Signal to noise, Attenuation, and line speeds.
b. If you get values of point a from your neighbour that would be excellent.
==> Now we will know the difference between the two lines.
c. Tell su the router models both you and the neighbour use.
d. Ignore the comments about fibre above. Fibre is available for a selected few in za. This will remain the case for years to come.
Good luck, I tried everything.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Just apply for 20Mbps and it will probably be provisioned. I had the same issue in my area. We have 40Mbps VDSL and the coverage maps still showed 4Mbps ADSL was all we could get. It wasn't a problem though, I just applied for 40Mbps VDSL and it was provisioned accordingly. Just ignore the coverage map and apply for what you want.

That is looking like my best option right now, unfortunately after applying for the 20mbps line, they told me I can only get 4. I explained to them that the Openserve technician told me I could get a 20Mbps but unfortunately no luck. I'll just have to request an upgrade and then demand to be put on a faster speed.
I am also living in East London and recently upgraded my line from 10Mbps ADSL to 20Mbps VDSL. I am still unable to watch video streaming (TV channels) and this was the intention behind the upgrade. I am getting a ping of 35 and download speeds of 15Mbps. I am using an ASUS AC68U router of which I am very happy. My ISP is Afrihost.I am experiencing a sharp deterioration their service compared to previous years and hence looking for an alternate service provider. Will you recommend Vox from your current experience?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Sometimes it is to do with the equipment available, not what the line can handle.
The line stats will help to check if there is a possibility of an upgrade, provided the ports are available on the VDSL equipment in the exchange.