My Rain experience thus far

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
So we all know Rain is the big bad. However, due to circumstances, I ended up getting the Unlimited Home 5G Standard monthly package (R699 pm).

I ordered on the website and the device was delivered the following day. Took about 30 minutes for it to activate and I was up and running.

I've been running for about 18 days now in Fourways, JHB.

Usage to date:
Rain.JPG

I've had no real issues with the connection so far. I think I did restart the router once which solved the issue.

Current connection speed with Outlook, teams etc all running.

rain2.JPG

Upload seems slower today than I've had it previously. Also, this package is limited to 30Mbps, so I'll gladly take the 38.

The only issue I have had a few times is packet loss while gaming, but it's brief and sorts itself out. Haven't been unable to play anything due to connection issues.

They do throttle torrents big time and they do limit you to 720P streaming, but those aren't biggies for me.

All in all, a good experience so far. Let's hope it remains so.

Attachments

• rain2.JPG
    rain2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 25

Priapus

Executive Member
So we all know Rain is the big bad. However, due to circumstances, I ended up getting the Unlimited Home 5G Standard monthly package (R699 pm).

I ordered on the website and the device was delivered the following day. Took about 30 minutes for it to activate and I was up and running.

I've been running for about 18 days now in Fourways, JHB.

Usage to date:
View attachment 1047609

I've had no real issues with the connection so far. I think I did restart the router once which solved the issue.

Current connection speed with Outlook, teams etc all running.

View attachment 1047617

Upload seems slower today than I've had it previously. Also, this package is limited to 30Mbps, so I'll gladly take the 38.

The only issue I have had a few times is packet loss while gaming, but it's brief and sorts itself out. Haven't been unable to play anything due to connection issues.

They do throttle torrents big time and they do limit you to 720P streaming, but those aren't biggies for me.

All in all, a good experience so far. Let's hope it remains so.

All well and great, that's how every customer of Rain's start out. Then the shitty network rears its ugly head and you soon, will be part of the queue of customers bitching and moaning.

Well, that's how these things generally go.

I hope it doesn't in your case, dude.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
All well and great, that's how every customer of Rain's start out. Then the shitty network rears its ugly head and you soon, will be part of the queue of customers bitching and moaning.

Well, that's how these things generally go.

I hope it doesn't in your case, dude.
Yea that's entirely possible. I did go in knowing their rep and potential issues. A mate of mine who lives in the area is running it and he's had no issues. Even takes his to the vaal with him and it works fine there.

Could be location-dependent too. I have good signal in a well-established area, possibly we have a higher concentration of towers or something. All I know is it's working fine so far.

The nice thing too is if it acts up I can just cancel.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Oh? So they don't lock you in for 12 months?

In that case, given your situation I would probably have done the same.
Nah, monthly. Just send them an email saying " 'Tsek naaiers" and they cancel. Apparently anyway, who knows how slow they may be with that.

Priapus

Executive Member
Nah, monthly. Just send them an email saying " 'Tsek naaiers" and they cancel. Apparently anyway, who knows how slow they may be with that.

True, I am not sure how that cancellation process goes. But you can always just "block" the debit order after the notice period has been served.

YM_80

True, I am not sure how that cancellation process goes. But you can always just "block" the debit order after the notice period has been served.

I cancelled late on Friday night. They contacted me Monday morning to confirm, then collected their router the following day.

Just waiting on clarity about the final bill. But so far they've been very efficient.

Elon

My connection was unusable , but they cancelled without fuss and even called me to ask before billing.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So far at the new place 5G premium is good.

Capture.PNG

Capturezxc.PNG

Torrents fly when I'm downloading...

rain_p2p-png.1055221

Robinski

What Torrent app are you using? My Torrents are horribly throttled on uTorrent.
I am experiencing the same but I am running Rain 4G which I suspect is highly overloaded compared to the 5G. I notice on the weekend and when people are home from work that RAIN moves at crawl speed even though I have a strong signal from their base station. I looked at moving to 5G however having RSAWEB fibre installed is a cheaper option. Unlike RAIN which I can cancel with a month's notice RSAWEB is a 12 month contract in order to get the free fibre installed into the house which seems fair. Keeping my fingers crossed.