MyBB guide to quitting smoking

Congrats. Did you go cold turkey this time or with Champix again ?

I almost had a smoke this weekend. We were at a mates birthday and we were drinking and almost all the guys were smoking and I really craved a ciggie then. I luckily didn't take one.

Nope, used the Champix. I still had from my previous attempt. Seriously, its hard enough dealing with quitting and having to deal with the crappy side effects. The tabs really make life a whole lot easier.

Allen Carr FTW

Allen who? :rolleyes:

nearly 3 months stopped smoking, using Champix (40 a day, 20 years). i swear by it now. i do still crave now and then, but it's literally a thought and it moves on. usually happens when i am bored out of my mind :)

biggest thing i can say is, believe in yourself. just constantly tell yourself you can do it. my thing was day 3 of stop smoking, lying in bed that night and i noticed my chest wasn't wheezing. smiled and went to sleep knowing the next day was the first day to my new life.

Congrats man! Big up to you. It is actually an awesome feeling when you do it.

What kind of side effects do you experience champix?

Well I have had a bit of nausea and fatigue which are both common, but not enough to make me stop taking them. However my sister has been on them for 2 weeks and she has had a hard time with nausea and dizziness, doc said she must drop her dose to 1 a day.

But the potential side effects are nothing like Zyban for example. That **** is just whack. I felt like an alien for 2 months on that stuff. Champix is also not a anti depressant that they discovered helped ppl stop smoking, its specifically geared to "emulate" the effects smoking has on the brain.
 
Just Google Allen Carr stop smoking.

I have tried patches, Zyban, spray, gum and everything in between, but continued smoking, then got Allen's book and quit in a day. The clinics are expensive, search for the book.

I know who he is, can't say I have seen to many people quit just from reading his book though :p

Good for you! How long now?

Day 6 and still going strong. :)

Nice one! Keep it up!!
 
Good for you! How long now?

More than 2 years. Wife also there about an MIL about 8 months.
MIL smoked for 60 years. By some miracle MIL's lungs are somewhat okay, but she smoked one kidney away and almost lost her legs, the smoking clogged the arteries in her feet and legs. Had a few emergency operations to open her femoral arteries. Her heart also suffered, she gets tired very quickly, can barely walk 10 meters. All in all she is doing good for someone who is 81 years old, but for the last 20 years, say since she was 55, 60, her quality of life was far worse than it could have been if she did not smoke.
 
More than 2 years. Wife also there about an MIL about 8 months.
MIL smoked for 60 years. By some miracle MIL's lungs are somewhat okay, but she smoked one kidney away and almost lost her legs, the smoking clogged the arteries in her feet and legs. Had a few emergency operations to open her femoral arteries. Her heart also suffered, she gets tired very quickly, can barely walk 10 meters. All in all she is doing good for someone who is 81 years old, but for the last 20 years, say since she was 55, 60, her quality of life was far worse than it could have been if she did not smoke.

Your MIL sounds like my dad. He has also had major clots in his legs, has had 4 minor strokes and sadly just had a major stroke which has left him paralyzed down his right side. My motivation after seeing what it has done to him has never been stronger. I quit for 4 years and stupidly started again.

Smoking is no joke but sadly people like my dad only realise this when it is to late!
 
Your MIL sounds like my dad. He has also had major clots in his legs, has had 4 minor strokes and sadly just had a major stroke which has left him paralyzed down his right side. My motivation after seeing what it has done to him has never been stronger. I quit for 4 years and stupidly started again.

Smoking is no joke but sadly people like my dad only realise this when it is to late!

Thats just the thing, smoking is so crazy dangerous but we dont think anything will happen to us.
I was 3 months on Monday, cravings etc are all gone and Im damn sure I wont be back on it. The downside is that I have gained 6 kg's despite going 4 times a week to gym and trying to eat healthy.
 
Thats just the thing, smoking is so crazy dangerous but we dont think anything will happen to us.
I was 3 months on Monday, cravings etc are all gone and Im damn sure I wont be back on it. The downside is that I have gained 6 kg's despite going 4 times a week to gym and trying to eat healthy.

Dude, you're still looking toight and pwning my ass at squash (no homo), so don't stress the additional 6kgs. I'm sure you feel a helluva lot better despite it. Your body's still dealing with the shock factor. GG on the 3 months though!
 
6kg's or lung cancer.

Champix sounds horrible but good to know it is not an anti depressant because zyban and welburtrin kinda messed me up but they worked for the first month.

It's ok if you look at his toight ass while playing squash voicy :p
 
Champix really isn't that bad Killa. Compared to Zyban its like eating sweets yet it works really well.

Monday will be 3 weeks for me and I am feeling great.
 
9 Days and all's well. The only thing that'll make me start again is a terminal diagnosis. By the way, everyone else in my house smokes and it doesn't bother me in the least.
 
Ok... have decided to quit again on the 15th of this month. Actually going on a full detox.. no alcohol.. no cigs.. no junk food.. no caffiene. I think if I do those things together my chances of quitting smoking would be better coz i'm staying away from the things that make me want to smoke (alcohol and caffiene). Attempting a 3 month period at first and will see how it goes from there.

Any ideas as to how much Champix costs?
 
My cold turkey attempt failed. Worked well when there was no smokers around (6 days of no smoking), but in the end alcohol and others smoking got to me.

I'm going to give Champix a try. I hated Zyban.
 
Ok... have decided to quit again on the 15th of this month. Actually going on a full detox.. no alcohol.. no cigs.. no junk food.. no caffiene. I think if I do those things together my chances of quitting smoking would be better coz i'm staying away from the things that make me want to smoke (alcohol and caffiene). Attempting a 3 month period at first and will see how it goes from there.

Any ideas as to how much Champix costs?

Good stuff. But my personal expeiernce is that by saying "Attempting a 3 month period at first and will see how it goes from there." you have already set yourself up for failure. If you are referring to the full detox that is different, but with smoking you have to say "I will never smoke again" not "I will see how it goes" :p

The starter pack is about R200 I think and then the full dose is about R300 per month which you take for 3 months. You obviously don't need to take the full course, but they recommend you take it for 3 months.
My cold turkey attempt failed. Worked well when there was no smokers around (6 days of no smoking), but in the end alcohol and others smoking got to me.

I'm going to give Champix a try. I hated Zyban.

Give it a go, they really do work, no word of a lie :p
 
I assume it is prescription only? Do you also have to phone a number first like with Zyban?

Yip prescription. Nope no phoning or any of that rubbish. Also no wild side effects like Zyban.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X