NAPAfrica questions

P00HB33R

Hi guys,

What exactly is the goal of interconnecting with NAPAfrica? As I understand it is to provide a shorter, more direct route to other peers on NA, thereby reducing the use of your upstream bandwidth? Is this correct?

Also, if you were to only peer with NA, would you theoretically be able to still access netflix,google,amazon, as they are all peering with NA, without an upstream provider like seacom etc.?

simons

Hi guys,

What exactly is the goal of interconnecting with NAPAfrica? As I understand it is to provide a shorter, more direct route to other peers on NA, thereby reducing the use of your upstream bandwidth? Is this correct?

Also, if you were to only peer with NA, would you theoretically be able to still access netflix,google,amazon, as they are all peering with NA, without an upstream provider like seacom etc.?

All the CDN’s are on NAP

NAPAfrica

Hi guys,

There isn't really a short answer, but you've mentioned a key point: Shorter path, but also control as a network over how your packets get to their destination. Since there is no charge to peer at NAPAfrica, and port sizes are virtually unlimited, you can also factor in cost reduction.

No, you cannot just peer at NAPAfrica without having an upstream provider. No internet exchange has the whole DFZ available, and many networks would not accept something that doesn't exist on an alternative path.

Think of NAPAfrica as a chunk of the internet, just closer, with more bandwidth.