'NASA hacker' to face US trial

mercurial

MyBB Legend
A British man who allegedly hacked into nearly 100 US military computers from his North London home, has had an appeal against extradition rejected.

The House of Lords saw no reason to overturn the decision to send McKinnon to face trial in the US, though he is expected now to turn to the European Court of Human Rights.

McKinnon's case against extradition centred on his claims that he had been offered 'plea bargains' by American prosecutors, which he said were contrary to the principles of English law.

"The US is making a clear stand that anyone making any attempts to compromise its computers and data, will face the consequences - in McKinnon's case, this means they're not going to give up until they've got their man," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.

However, Cluley was unsympathetic to McKinnon's plight.

"Any form of hacking is illegal and should be punished as such, and hacking into US government networks is bound to come with harsh repercussions - anyone thinking about engaging in these types of activities in the future should think twice," he said.

McKinnon is accused of crashing the US Army's Washington network for 24 hours and also rendering US Navy weapons systems temporarily unusable in the aftermath of the 11 September 2001 attacks.

If the extradition goes ahead and McKinnon is found guilty, he could face 10 years in a US jail.

Link

daveza

Honorary Master
Ridiculous.

The UK caves to US pressure again.

This guy hacked into the US military with a modem, and was able to access data without a single password or other protection.

So who's the guilty party ?

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I remeber this guy in an interview with FHM a few months or a year ago.

His in really over his head!
The prosecutors want to make an example of him!
He managed to hack into the Pentagon and view files of Generals and other groot koppe!
Simply because they never had any password setup - or the password - was "password".:eek:

That's how simple it was it for him!
He reckons why there was no password was because the Generals are fossils from the old school right? So they're not the most tech savvy people and could not even setup their own passwords.
He saw got to see a lot of intersting info - shame that his gonna pay big time for it! :rolleyes:

bekdik

Honorary Master
I remeber this guy in an interview with FHM a few months or a year ago.

His in really over his head!
The prosecutors want to make an example of him!
He managed to hack into the Pentagon and view files of Generals and other groot koppe!
Simply because they never had any password setup - or the password - was "password".:eek:

That's how simple it was it for him!
He reckons why there was no password was because the Generals are fossils from the old school right? So they're not the most tech savvy people and could not even setup their own passwords.
He saw got to see a lot of intersting info - shame that his gonna pay big time for it! :rolleyes:

I would have thought that all Pentagon computers are on a network which would require secure log-in as set by an administrator. If they are so connected and he was able to enter as described, then he should be paid $10 million for discovering the weakness and the administrator be sent to jail for 10 years.

Additionally the internal/external auditors should be sued by either the pentagon or this guy if he's prosecuted - security is part of their brief.

Turiko

Banned
So then, is it hacking if you stumble upon a network that can be accessed without a password? Pretty much the same as going into an FTP share on the web and downloading files....

mercurial

MyBB Legend
That's different to hacking into a site with passwords. With no passwords, you can argue that it's a public site, but I don't think that's the case here. This one had passwords, albeit weak ones.
He hacked into about 100 computers and temporarily disabled their weapon systems.

Q121

He hacked into about 100 computers and temporarily disabled their weapon systems.

The people of Iraq cry with joy....

But seriously, what has this guy gained from all of this? Its not like he has made any money out of it... has he?

Other than that he can say he has seen all of Americas dirty little secrets.... :rolleyes:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
The people of Iraq cry with joy....

But seriously, what has this guy gained from all of this? Its not like he has made any money out of it... has he?

Other than that he can say he has seen all of Americas dirty little secrets.... :rolleyes:

I don't know if you read the article, but all he wanted was information on UFOs. So other than that information, he has not benefitted from it.

Q121

I don't know if you read the article, but all he wanted was information on UFOs. So other than that information, he has not benefitted from it.

Yes i did read it and thats why i asked, what has he gained from all of this? He is fighting to not get thrown into the american snake pit and large jail sentences. And he never stood to make any money out of it. Its not like he was stealing information to sell and if he got away with it he would have been made for life...

I am just saying if you going to do something that risky there has to be some reward...

Or maybe he really was that obsessed with aliens.... :rolleyes:

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I am just saying if you going to do something that risky there has to be some reward...

Or maybe he really was that obsessed with aliens.... :rolleyes:

His reward was just getting this information. The definition of reward varies from person to person :)

Yeah, I think he was obsessed with aliens :D

jab2

Would I be guilty of a crime if I walk down a street and see the front door of a house is slightly open. I nudge it further open, enter the sitting room, admire the beautiful leather coach, then turn around and leave.;)

The US Military are spending stupendous amounts of money on computer systems and it is this easy to get in? Surely this can't be so? :(:confused:

As for disabling weapons system, I would like to know what these systems are as I'm not aware of any weapon systems that can be "disabled like this. Maybe the controls of Radar systems can be get at, but how would you control aircraft, tanks, artillery over the web.:(

I think this is another example of the over reaction of Yanks. Or they are just plain pissed off because this guy saw documented prove that more than half of the USA's population still believe in UFOs.:p