ND Filter Recommendation

Fjorko

Expert Member
Hi

I'm new to this hobby, so please bear with me.

Would like some advice on which ND's you guys/girls might suggest in particular for SA's mostly bright sunny conditions. I know there are quite a few variables at play here ( budget, kit, shooting environment etc ), but just looking for a general idea of which brands are popular in SA

At the moment looking to maybe get a K&F Variable ND2 - 32 / 67mm to fit my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Lens which is 67mm. I will be mainly doing 50/50 stills/video.

Many thanks

nazmo

Expert Member
I found variable can often cause wierd banding at certain settings, unless you buy a really expensive one. Rather just get the darkest you need

genetic

Honorary Master
I found variable can often cause wierd banding at certain settings, unless you buy a really expensive one. Rather just get the darkest you need
A variable ND is the most versatile tool one can have. Cheaper ones do suffer from colour shift, but I'd much rather use a variable ND for on the fly shooting, than having to swap out all the time. Another benefit being they're polarised too.

Da5idC

ND filters are only necessary when you are filming video and are limited in the shutter speeds and apertures. In that case a variable ND is WAY more convenient than carrying a bag of filters with different densities around.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
ND filters are only necessary when you are filming video and are limited in the shutter speeds and apertures. In that case a variable ND is WAY more convenient than carrying a bag of filters with different densities around.
They're also useful for photography.