Need help...iPhone 4S data usage

cvbelk

My SO upgraded to the 4S on Wednesday (from BlackBerry) so completely a noob on this...

We deactivated all push notifications and even 3G to save on data as we have no Wi-fi at home or work...only thing we need to work is WhatsApp and thus can't keep Cellular data off. Our data package will only kick in next month so we loaded a 100MB bundle for now.

Since Wednesday the total data usage on the phone is - sent: 4.3MB and Received: 34.4MB. What does this mean and where is the usage coming from?
We activated the 100MB bundle today at about 14:51 and by 16:30 already 3MB registered on the network (couldnt have used the phone as we were in the bank).

What might we be missing? I've just installed Onavo Extend, hoping it's going to help cause my hubby is not happy at all and we can't afford any surprising accounts...ANY suggestions or ideas on good data tracking apps or would the Onavo help with that too?

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi CVBelk

Onavo extend may help you trace what is using the data. I have not used it but for the rest out there here is the website
http://www.onavo.com/apps/iphone_extend

Are you sure that you have not left automatic updating taking place? I don't have an iPhone so am not sure where you would go to check for that

Good luck

Tim

Last edited:

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi CVBelk,
I Loaded Onavo on to my HTC Wildfire. The age of the OS on the Wildfire prevents me using the extend version of the software but I am very impressed with what it is telling me.
For instance it highlighted that the battery app was sending data and it gave me the option to stop it doing that when on 3G and limit it to wireless.
This app is very likely to help you to identify the apps giving you problems.

Good luck Tim
find Tim @TechXperTim

cvbelk

Hi Tim, thank you for your replies.
Onavo is definately making a difference. It seems to be the apps that we can't remove from the phone (maps, stocks) using the data (33MB in 2days).
All the statistics on the phone, what the network says and what Onavo indicates is so confusing, nothing correlates with each other.

At this moment the cellular data is staying off, only have 60MB's left for this month, as we only got prorated data of the 100MB loaded. According to the network we used 6.73MB since it was loaded at 14:50 yesterday and just saw that we've been billed R60 for out of bundle usage which agrees with the 30odd MB the phone has used in 48hours....

At the point where we're considering selling the thing and buying an Android phone but not sure if the usage would be the same...

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi cvbelk,
On mine I found I had an optioon that would let me tell the app that it was only to use wireless data. Check yours again.
I am sure that this initial use is just updating of applications to the latest level and wifi is the way to do that. As you have no wifdi at home you need to find a connection that you can use.
You can also look around for places giving free wifi. I know for instance there is a Macdonalds is Pretoria that gives an hour of data for free per day. You may find a similar place in your area too.

Too soon to look at selling. All of those that I have met that have an iPhone sear by it.

Good luck

Tim

cvbelk

We are looking into getting ADSL and going the wifi route at home now, can't see any other way. At work he can just log into his email account on the pc so it would just be WhatsApp running, shouldn't be too much use there.
Hubby is quite attached to the phone now, but I think he has developed OCD by checking the usage every 10-30 minutes:wtf:

Overall, I agree with the high usage of the first days, it's come down significantly. He just needs to get over his paranoid state for now