Nersa to consider approving nuclear power plan

section 34 determination for the program, which enables the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy to undertake a bidding process for private producers to build nuclear-power facilities
OK, If and only if:
  • Cradle-to-grave costs must be born by "Private Producers"
  • Complete Transparency in purchase contract
  • 100% IPP model
And no taxpayer liability
 
OK, If and only if:
  • Cradle-to-grave costs must be born by "Private Producers"
  • Complete Transparency in purchase contract
  • 100% IPP model
And no taxpayer liability
Capital expenditure for nuclear is too high, the interest will make it non viable.

Not sure how South Africa would make it viable either considering credit rating isn't great and it would be a large amount of debt.
 
I wonder if anyone from Government watched that Bill Gates documentary on Netflix where he talks about the design of his nuclear power station. I would be willing to accept a modern nuclear design that is able to use spent fuel from other stations (if I'm remembering correctly). I'm not willing to accept a old design from the soviet era or a plant built by the lowest bidder or biggest kickback provider.
 
hmm.. so building them reactors? How long will that take? Years and years. And the money ? Where will the money come from ?
 
I wonder if anyone from Government watched that Bill Gates documentary on Netflix where he talks about the design of his nuclear power station. I would be willing to accept a modern nuclear design that is able to use spent fuel from other stations (if I'm remembering correctly). I'm not willing to accept a old design from the soviet era or a plant built by the lowest bidder or biggest kickback provider.
There is no working modular nuclear design, and the one implementation that some states were looking at implementing already looks like it will cost more than current nuclear implementations, a lot of states (or was it cities, can't remember) already pulled out of that.

Unless there is a major breakthrough in that field, modular nuclear is not competitive currently, neither is nuclear if you compare it to CSP.

Lupus and the other dude will probably post some more nonsense again, they keep starting one sided threads.
 
Capital expenditure for nuclear is too high, the interest will make it non viable.

Not sure how South Africa would make it viable either considering credit rating isn't great and it would be a large amount of debt.
If cost/capital expenditure is on IPP, then all good.

Consumer would pay for kWh used at competitive rates.
 
If cost/capital expenditure is on IPP, then all good.

Consumer would pay for kWh used at competitive rates.
Not really, new nuclear is not cost competitive, and a lot of the cost will come from borrowing.
1604992046486.png
1604992122249.png
1604992137741.png
Nuclear has a capital expenditure of $3.7bn for 2.2GW best-case. South Africa is going to look at at least 1GW options, so ~$2bn best-case, worst-case around $3.6bn in capital that needs to be paid off within 20 years, meanwhile it will gather interest during any construction delay. With IPP, you will not get government levels of interest.

Nuclear is mostly developed countries:
1604992502707.png
South Africa will not get this level of interest, and most IPP will not even come close. Do you think nuclear will be cost competitive based on that? Note that most nuclear in the world until very recently has had state subsidies, that includes France and US.

And you can't really build small scale, quick nuclear, you can't decide you only want a 200MW build now and then keep doing that, it will be a lot more expensive than contracting for 2GW in one go.
Solar thermal towers you contract 50-200MW and you can keep contracting it one after the other when the first one finishes. It makes it a lot easier for a country to budget, and it's going to start paying off its debt a lot quicker. For South Africa, you'll get a lot of favorable loans from the world bank for renewable, and so will IPPs if there is a guaranteed contract in place.
 
Last edited:
May I nominate former ex-president Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Mhlanganyelwa Zuma to head up the nuclear procurement committee?

Nobody can deny that he putin a lot of effort last time trying to save the electric when the rest of the ANC simply stood around counting to large numbers.

Also Jamnandas, because you never know when a bailout is gonna be needed.
 
I don't get it. I really don't. And I am not trying to bash any entitiy, but the fact is, ESKOM is not even generating the electricity it was 20 years ago let alone more. And few household's and MANY major businesses have gone solar. So demand has dropped drastically. Yet we still have load shedding (or the threat thereof), and we still want to build a nuclear plant??? For what and for who? Who is going to use that electricity?
 
I don't get it. I really don't. And I am not trying to bash any entitiy, but the fact is, ESKOM is not even generating the electricity it was 20 years ago let alone more. And few household's and MANY major businesses have gone solar. So demand has dropped drastically. Yet we still have load shedding (or the threat thereof), and we still want to build a nuclear plant??? For what and for who? Who is going to use that electricity?

Zumas hot tub takes a lot of Electricity you know.
you should see his treadmill in

nkaaaaaaandla

could power a small city.
 
So I am normally a big Nuclear Enthusiast, but SAs problem is our credit rating,

if we finance a Nuclear Power station without making it part of a sensible national industrial plan and under the current ridiculous interest loans then we are going to bankrupt ourselves.

Nuclear is probably our best hope against climate change, but I don’t see the proper conditions in place with the ANC, and that doesn’t even include the money that they’re going to loot in the process.
 
This simply video shows to you what the interest on a Nuclear station can bankrupt SA.

our best current best is probably to get some gas generation going.

 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X