Network cable installation question

daffy

Expert Member
I would strongly suggest you use fibre instead of copper.
If you run copper, you're going to create a big antenna, and you're going to be replacing switches/devices on either end of that cable run ever time there's a lightening storm (I speak from experience).

moosag

Expert Member
if you want to avoid lightning you could use the pre-made fibre cables as mentioned. Here is an example of what it costs for 90M https://scoop.co.za/fibre-outdoor-drop-cable-90m-lc-lc-apc-2core.html but then you need to also convert etc..

If you have 200Mb fibre and that's your biggest concern with the connection you could also get UBNT lightbeam
https://scoop.co.za/ubiquiti-5ghz-airmax-litebeam-ac-gen2-23dbi-cpe-lbe-5ac-gen2.html it Can do 450Mb or more
but then so can the Nano just make sure its the newer one LOCO-5AC/L

Or just trench the cable and put one of these on either end https://scoop.co.za/ubiquiti-grounded-ethernet-surge-protector-eth-sp.html
If I were to go for the 90m fibre drop. It has LC-LC connectors. What type of media converter do I need? And what type of SFP modules do I need?

moosag

Expert Member
So just to update all for info sake. I was able to come right with the following setup:

1 x 60m Fibre drop LC-LC connector
1 x EdgeSwitch 8 with SFP (24V POE)
1 x EdgeRouter X with SFP 5 Port (replaced my old EdgeRouter X without SFP)
2 x Scoop LC SFP Modules
3 x AirCube AC powered by the EdgeSwitch 8 24V switch

I just hanged the fibre over head from point to point with a few Y-Hooks along the way. Worked like a charm.

I have existing Unifi AC-PRO access points. What I found interesting is that the AirCubes (1/3 the cost) out performed by a mile! Very interesting... Lacks the enterprise features (monitoring, logging, etc) but the wireless throughput on 5Ghz outperformed the AC-Pro's. Definitely worth the price!

Anyhow... thanks for all the advice people! I am now sorted!

D4N_CPT

So just to update all for info sake. I was able to come right with the following setup:

1 x 60m Fibre drop LC-LC connector
1 x EdgeSwitch 8 with SFP (24V POE)
1 x EdgeRouter X with SFP 5 Port (replaced my old EdgeRouter X without SFP)
2 x Scoop LC SFP Modules
3 x AirCube AC powered by the EdgeSwitch 8 24V switch

I just hanged the fibre over head from point to point with a few Y-Hooks along the way. Worked like a charm.

I have existing Unifi AC-PRO access points. What I found interesting is that the AirCubes (1/3 the cost) out performed by a mile! Very interesting... Lacks the enterprise features (monitoring, logging, etc) but the wireless throughput on 5Ghz outperformed the AC-Pro's. Definitely worth the price!

Anyhow... thanks for all the advice people! I am now sorted!
Thanks for the update, so many posters forget to come back to old posts to post progress/updates.

How about some pictures of your setup?