New Apple Mac Mini vs Windows Desktop PC - The winner is clear

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thought the purpose of getting a mini pc is well, it being mini ? compare it to a specced up Nuc or similar offering from other brands
I don't understand what you are trying to argue?

It's pretty small? But the real point of it is the bring your own screen/keyboard/mouse nature of it when buying for desktop use or otherwise being a headless server.

Zenthrax

I don't understand what you are trying to argue?

It's pretty small? But the real point of it is the bring your own screen/keyboard/mouse nature of it when buying for desktop use or otherwise being a headless server.
Ok so usually you buy a mac or a mac mini depending on the size/space to put the thing you want... so why compare a mac mini to a desktop tower pc. Yes its a "smaller than average tower", but still massive compared to the mac mini
If they gone and compared a nuc with one of those imac screen things, oh heavens forbid, the sheep would burn the MyBB staff at the town square.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ok so usually you buy a mac or a mac mini depending on the size/space to put the thing you want... so why compare a mac mini to a desktop tower pc. Yes its a "smaller than average tower", but still massive compared to the mac mini
If they gone and compared a nuc with one of those imac screen things, oh heavens forbid, the sheep would burn the MyBB staff at the town square.
I believe the comparison is purely price and has nothing to do with size.

Also I don't think anyone computes the size when choosing which Mac to purchase. It's really just a by product.

damian24

and I've just placed an order from dell for a 3060SFF i7 6 core, 512nvme, 16gb ram, radeon RX550 and 3 year onsite warranty w(it's around double the height of the mini) and clearly whips it's butt.

the price... R16k

doesn't change the fact that I'll still need the mini for xcode...

don't get the point at all, we know you're paying for the name and form with Apple - at least the memory is upgradeable and the thunderbolt will help with high speed near line storage.

RedViking

Nord of the South
How much would it have cost if they used a micro motherboard, case etc. with the same specs?

You still need to get the screen, keyboard, mouse, sound etc.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
While the Windows 10 PC offers the better raw performance, one of Apple’s biggest attractions is its closed but highly-functional ecosystem and software.
Remind me... what's "closed" about OsX?
For this reason, the Mac Mini could remain the preferred choice for Apple fans who do not need high graphics performance and would rather pay more for the familiar software environment.
Or just don't like Windows [10]? :unsure:

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You still need to get the screen, keyboard, mouse, sound etc.
Sure but on the flip side you don't need to buy them all every time you upgrade like you would with an iMac or Macbook.

And you probably have all of them already so all you really need is the Mac Mini and nothing else.

In that regard it's a great "switching" device.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
So.... another pointless comparison...
...because somebody shopping for macOS is hardly ever going to settle for a Windows PC.
Similarly I don't expect somebody shopping for Windows would settle for macOS.
Re PC:
  • Mini vs Mammoth; mmmh wonder how @Jamie McKane missed that?
    • Quite obvious small has a premium.
  • Thunderbolt?
    • So where are those 4 thunderbolt ports on the PC.
  • Also quite disingenuous to show a PC spec without including Windows by default; did someone have a preconceived agenda.

Last edited:

zippy

Executive Member
Considering getting this Mac mini and a Blackmagic eGpu(£599). Can use it with my MacBook as well

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I'm over the moon with this announcement. Apple doing something for the pros again.

Upgradeable ram, 4 x Thunderbolt, eGPU compatible. Rack a few of these together and you have a crapton of compute. You can build stuff with Macs again!

I reckon they should have just called it the Mac Pro Mini.

rogerwe

The PC still needs to add the cost of a Windows OS license (let’s face it, if you’re buying that spec of graphics card, you want play Windows games). So the cost of a windows license would push the price up, making Mac Mini Cheaper.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
The PC still needs to add the cost of a Windows OS license (let’s face it, if you’re buying that spec of graphics card, you want play Windows games). So the cost of a windows license would push the price up, making Mac Mini Cheaper.
C'mon man. Are you serious? Even if the cost of a Win 10 license pushes the price of a proper PC slightly past that of that Apple gadget, you're still getting a far superior and higher performing device. Would you rather spend 200K on a Kia if you could buy an Aston Martin for 220K?