new birth registration

joker08

Expert Member
I was wondering what the new child birth registration process is now during lockdown ? This is my first child, in South Africa.
The hospital says don't worry home affairs is closed :rolleyes: . Is this right ? Also I am not comfortable taking my newborn to home affairs given the current situation.
I am just worried that I might miss the registration. What should I do? please guide me in the right direction.

chrisc

Executive Member
Prior to the lockdown, you had 30 days
If the HA office is closed, it is impossible to register it. You cannot be held responsible for an impossible situation, thus must await the re-opening. Our local HA is still closed, but the hospital have a sub-section there in their admin office

Ignore the ignoramus who posted reply # 2

scudsucker

Executive Member
How new?

Most hospitals pre-lockdown had home affairs people come once a week to issue birth certs. Ask your pediatrician, midwife or local hospital.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
All births will be registered during lockdown level 4. This was reinstated on May 1st. All births prior to May 1st, during the lockdown, was assigned to a backlog or roll. Either the hospital lied to you or you are coming here with uncertainty.

dunkyd

Executive Member
Not to worry, there are loads of skelms doing late birth registrations for a fee. Just look at till operators at supermarkets, all have SASSA cards and very few with babies....

joker08

Expert Member
How new?

Most hospitals pre-lockdown had home affairs people come once a week to issue birth certs. Ask your pediatrician, midwife or local hospital.
Born on 28 april. The hospital informed my wife HA is closed so they will sort out the certificate etc later. I was not allowed in the hospital at the time of discharge or on the follow up visit, so I only know what my wife told me.

joker08

Expert Member
All births will be registered during lockdown level 4. This was reinstated on May 1st. All births prior to May 1st, during the lockdown, was assigned to a backlog or roll. Either the hospital lied to you or you are coming here with uncertainty.
Yes, I am uncertain. When I call the hospital they just give reassurance and I dont trust them.
Like I said it's my first child in SA, I dont even know what this process is. I only came to know about this registration procedure when a colleague pointed it out to me yesterday.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes, I am uncertain. When I call the hospital they just give reassurance and I dont trust them.
Like I said it's my first child in SA, I dont even know what this process is. I only came to know about this registration procedure when a colleague pointed it out to me yesterday.

As far as I understand, under the current circumstances, the hospital must issue you with an abridged birth certificate. If you require an unabridged birth certificate you are required to apply for the certificate at the Department of Home Affairs (qualifying offices).

adidas

My daughter was born on 18 April. I will be registering her this coming week. Birth registrations were only allowed since level 4. The home affairs offices in my region was closed the passed week for cleaning/sterilizing.

Normally home affairs have an office or mobile unit at most hospitals, but this is not the case since lockdown.

In short, the hospital would have given you the required docs to register your baby, take those docs and the parents IDs to your closest home affairs office - they will issue a birth certificate.

You do not have to take the baby and mom, the dad alone is able to register the baby with the required docs (double check required docs on home affairs website)

You have 30 days from birth, and home affairs have said babies born during lockdown will have a longer period to register.

Try toget your baby registered as soon as possible to get an ID number for the baby.

joker08

Expert Member
My daughter was born on 18 April. I will be registering her this coming week. Birth registrations were only allowed since level 4. The home affairs offices in my region was closed the passed week for cleaning/sterilizing.

Normally home affairs have an office or mobile unit at most hospitals, but this is not the case since lockdown.

In short, the hospital would have given you the required docs to register your baby, take those docs and the parents IDs to your closest home affairs office - they will issue a birth certificate.

You do not have to take the baby and mom, the dad alone is able to register the baby with the required docs (double check required docs on home affairs website)

You have 30 days from birth, and home affairs have said babies born during lockdown will have a longer period to register.

Try toget your baby registered as soon as possible to get an ID number for the baby.
Thanks. That helps a lot. I will approach the hospital for the required docs.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The hospital will still handle it for you when Home Affairs opens.

There is no need for you to personally go to HA.

They have a satellite branch inside the hospital effectively.

adidas

The hospital will still handle it for you when Home Affairs opens.

There is no need for you to personally go to HA.

They have a satellite branch inside the hospital effectively.

During lockdown (at L4) they are not operating from the hospitals, hence going to HA is the only option at the mo.

joker08

Expert Member
We both had to go to the hospital with our babies. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid but its anyway better than going to HA.
The HA officer got the form filled and signed, called me back on Wednesday. This time only I have to go back.
Thanks for the help. everyone.

joker08

Expert Member
So HA helped us fill the forms and collected it from us at the hospital.
Today I called the hospital to collect the certificate and they said HA has lost all the forms they got between 13 may to 22 may.
I will check on friday if they have received our certificate, if not I will have to take the babies to HA.
Also its past 30 days so will have to follow a different procedure now.
Not happy at all.