New consumer act: a different kettle of fish

Park@82

Honorary Master
The law also protects consumers against direct marketing onslaughts.

It provides for an "exclusion register" which will make it illegal for sales people to communicate electronically with a consumer whose name has been listed on this register.

"This will greatly assist consumers as they will be able to prohibit unwanted electronic communication."
Where to find the register?

F

Fudzy

Does the same apply if you replace kettle with second hand car from dealership?

zamicro

Expert Member
So will I as a consumer now have the right to know for what I am paying to my cell provider, or do I still have to pay them, to be able to see what I am paying for (itemized billing)? This is one big ripoff.

nelwa

Expert Member
What about clothes? If this applies to clothes, I'll never have to buy new clothes or shoes again - just wear them for 5 months, and return them for a refund :p

FrancTheTank

Expert Member
What about clothes? If this applies to clothes, I'll never have to buy new clothes or shoes again - just wear them for 5 months, and return them for a refund :p
Probably only if it was a manufacturing defect, normal use or even abuse, ie dog tearing it or accidents like tears in a knee area prob won't be covered.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
Does the same apply if you replace kettle with second hand car from dealership?
Yes it does.

heard on cape talk that the dealer has to disclose everything about the car. so if the car has never been serviced they must tell you. and you have the choice then to take it as is.

Browser

Once it takes effect it would be great if MyBroadband gave a point by point list of the benefits and new rights it gives to consumers.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
3 more days! Bring it on :) Can't wait for those damn telemarketers to contact me so I can tell them where to shove it, once and for all.

boyequal

Once it takes effect it would be great if MyBroadband gave a point by point list of the benefits and new rights it gives to consumers.
+1

Specifically rights concerning telecommunications companies (landline and cell), internet service providers and broadcasting (SABC, TopTV and DStv)

F

Fudzy

Yes it does.

heard on cape talk that the dealer has to disclose everything about the car. so if the car has never been serviced they must tell you. and you have the choice then to take it as is.
So it's either take the car voetstoets or walk away? Isn't that how it is currently?

ajax

Executive Member
Also the end of all these "let's-fund-the-competition-prize-through-premium-rated-sms's" competitions. From 1st April, they can only charge the price of a standard sms to enter.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Also the end of all these "let's-fund-the-competition-prize-through-premium-rated-sms's" competitions. From 1st April, they can only charge the price of a standard sms to enter.
(a) What is that price?
(b) If any Cellular SP does this, they still get all the money.

ajax

Executive Member
(a) What is that price?
(b) If any Cellular SP does this, they still get all the money.
Dunno. Should at least be less than R1 as none of the networks charge more than 90c AFAIK per sms.

Aragon

Although this bill seems very good, I have my doubts about it coming without an unforeseen cost.