New Discovery Bank features launched

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

Discovery Bank has announced a number of changes to its digital banking services with the latest release of its mobile application.

These include virtual cards for online shopping, the ability for clients to get up to 20% off when they spend their Discovery Miles online and in-store through the bank’s partner network, and the ability make payments to their contacts who are Discovery Vitality members through Discovery Pay.

Love the idea of virtual cards but it seems they only work on the app and not their website? I can't even use the app as my phone is rooted and the app refuses to work. The point is though I prefer to bank on the website as I have three monitors I see for updating payments in another desktop app, and the vendor's site, etc. Seems Discovery Bank is not enabling all functions on the website. Limits me somewhat making full use of their service.

Is that vitality discount applied by default? I'd like to get the extra 5% off my Virgin Active contract

Discovery Bank has announced a number of changes to its digital banking services with the latest release of its mobile application.

These include virtual cards for online shopping, the ability for clients to get up to 20% off when they spend their Discovery Miles online and in-store through the bank’s partner network, and the ability make payments to their contacts who are Discovery Vitality members through Discovery Pay.
Shares for white people?

If it's too complex to immediately understand, that means its designed to confuse you into spending more money than you need to.

Discovery has taken that philosophy from their medical aids into their banking products

Exactly. Only the first card is free, for every additional card you will pay R5 per month.
From their website: "*Virtual cards are free as long as a minimum annual spend of R2 500 is maintained on the card. If the annual spend on the card doesn’t amount to the minimum amount, we will add an annual fee of R50 to the card. Fair usage principles also apply."

But then most of the benefits offered by Discovery products have obscure rules and change to suite their needs... So who knows for sure?

Discovery Pay has been available since the beginning. Not sure why it's being classified as "new"

Back