New Intel CPU security flaw

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

A flaw has been discovered that allows for data to be leaked from the internal memory of Intel CPUs.

Under a specific set of complex conditions, a malicious party could infer the data values of some modified cache lines in the L1 data cache, Intel explained.

Crumbl0x

lol of course, wish they’d just sensibly cease their old design for the fixed one that was announced 2 years back, but not that I personally care since I’ve switched over to a more sensible CPU for now, which will also eventually get more cheese holes but at a slower rate that doesn’t necessarily diminish performance

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

A flaw has been discovered that allows for data to be leaked from the internal memory of Intel CPUs.

Under a specific set of complex conditions, a malicious party could infer the data values of some modified cache lines in the L1 data cache, Intel explained.
More useless and senseless fearmongering schite...

A noob would read these headlines and think someone can see their banking details if they have an Intel CPU.

This schit is worse than the Corona panic mongers...

Happy Days

Another one? Seems like every other week I'm reading about a new/mutated flaw. Having said that, all these flaws hasn't impacted me at all.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
More useless and senseless fearmongering schite...

A noob would read these headlines and think someone can see their banking details if they have an Intel CPU.

This schit is worse than the Corona panic mongers...
Yes, pretty much this. Nonetheless, Intel is taking responsibility to make the public aware of the exploits. As I have said many times, this is an ageing architecture and more flaws will be increasingly discovered. In most cases, these flaws are only exploitable with direct access to the machine, meaning that you need other vulnerabilities than Intel vulnerabilities.

Zen architecture will also be exposed over the years to come. It is just how it works, that there are many researchers out there working at limiting zero-days.

Crumbl0x

These flaws will impact NO-ONE EVER.....
Don't be disingenuous, it impacts critical systems machines which require hardened kernels and parameters, it impacts statistical inference with performance losses up to 90%, making raspberry pi's more efficient in some cases, it (if paired with Nvidia GPU's) affects CUDA workloads with incremental steps in losses per compute thread, and the more patches required, whether affected or not, the more issues down the line until Intel refreshes their architecture to fix all of this. Yes, for the average consumer only the first big 5 are actually required, and the rest are patched in browsers, but this hurts them more than us anyways.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Meanwhile on AMD Zen 2. :sneaky:
Zen 2 does have the one flaw, not as much as Intel though as Intel seems to have gone the route of trying to eke out as much performance as they could from what is pretty much the same architecture over the last decade.