New Laptop for Student

dotVIBE

Expert Member
So, my niece is starting at Stellenbosch Uni this year, and as the IT family guy i've been asked to source a lappy. I've browsed for a few hours now, and checked out all usual suspects, but i'm struggling a bit to find what i'm looking for. When did laptops get so expensive?

Anyway, I'm thinking a 13" would be a good portable size for swinging between classes. Things i normally won't compromise on are stuff like 4GB RAM minimum, should be an intel chip, and reputable brand: asus, dell, hp, samsung, sony. Not that keen on Gigabyte, Acer, sahara etc.

Budget is prolly around R5k, and while i'd usually spec at least an i3, it looks like that's gonna be difficult in this range.

So, whatchoo got?

eg2505

Honorary Master
I had to go and get a laptop for a job recently ,

heres what I managed to get:

samsung NP300E5C,
celeron CPU, upgradeable as far as I know,
2 GB RAM 500 GB HDD,15' screen
reasonable buy at Makro for around R3600 or thereabouts,

comes with win 8:crying:, quite a mission to put 7 but its do-able...

not bad but will struggle with anything CPU/RAM intensive, video conversion or gaming or programming

but for simple sending emails, web surfing and video watching,

IE: what 90% of users do anyway its great.

the other 10% of us would need more HP.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Check incredible connection on Guzzle. Saw a samsung along that price range this week.

dotVIBE

Expert Member
Yeah, in the 15" range i don't have a problem, i'd probably choose a nice asus. Ditto in the 11" range.

But 13.3" and 14" is problematic. I can't find anything that is not hopelessly overpriced.

phiber

Expert Member
Been looking around as well, the 15" seems to be cheaper than the 13", which is strange. I've got a few old laptops lying around as well, was looking out for incredibles trade in special, but they only did iPads last year.

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Guzzle for specials and LaptopsDirect for a wider ranger of laptops.

I'm guessing we're not allowed to ask for pics of the niece so we can... provide the best advice. Right ? :whistling: