New MTN SIM - RICA "limit exceeded"

SarelSeemonster

Expert Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
1,168
Reaction score
308
Location
Pretoria
I bought an MTN SIM from Ackermans that I wanted to use for Afrihost's 1GB free per month promo but was told it cannot be RICA'd because the system shows an error "Limit exceeded". Mr. cashier couldn't provide any further information.

Anyone know what limit this refers to? Total number of SIMs registered against my ID?

I do have a bunch of old SIMs that I've long since destroyed and these might be the culprits. How do I go about deregistering old SIMs from my name? Is that even possible? I thought they would've expired by now due to inactivity.
 
Yeah if it says limit exceeded then yes it means the number of simcard registered to your name.

I'm not sure of the exact number but MTN, Vodacom and Cellc it's 50+ and with 8ta when they launched it was 10 but it's been increased when they changed to Telkom Mobile.

I don't want to scare you but I think someone has your ID number and is Rica-ing simcards in your name. Could be those street rica agents or pakistani shops that sells pre ricad simcards.

Never throw away documents with id number banking details attached to them.

You will only be able to register new simcards with your ID number once the ones that are registered start expiring.
 
Wow. Scary thought.

We have how many foreigners in South Africa.... How many are legally just crossing and how many is illegal yet everyone has a simcard. So yeah it's a form of identity fraud because the people selling these simcards in spaza shops and street corners aren't South Africans.
 
Got a RAIN SIM instead and it was RICA'd successfully (I assume, because it's working).

Also found this: https://www.smartcall.co.za/smartrica/ ?

If it's that simple to register as a "RICA Agent" I might as well just start RICA'ing my own SIMs and be done with it. Anyone had experience with them?
 
Got a RAIN SIM instead and it was RICA'd successfully (I assume, because it's working).

Also found this: https://www.smartcall.co.za/smartrica/ ?

If it's that simple to register as a "RICA Agent" I might as well just start RICA'ing my own SIMs and be done with it. Anyone had experience with them?

Don't even waste your time. Just download the Flash android app and register. Now you can rica your own simcard. Get a free welcome pack from flash that consist of 25 staterpacks of each network and a T-Shirt. Rica your own simcards. Also the flash staterpacks are sold in packs of 5 for R5 per pack for each network at Pep stores.

You get paid R5 per sim activation with Flash or ~R25 per sim activation from Smartcall or ~R35 per sim activation for Awesim and ~R20 per sim activation from Q-Mart ect ect
 
Don't even waste your time. Just download the Flash android app and register. Now you can rica your own simcard. Get a free welcome pack from flash that consist of 25 staterpacks of each network and a T-Shirt. Rica your own simcards. Also the flash staterpacks are sold in packs of 5 for R5 per pack for each network at Pep stores.

You get paid R5 per sim activation with Flash or ~R25 per sim activation from Smartcall or ~R35 per sim activation for Awesim and ~R20 per sim activation from Q-Mart ect ect
Thanks for the info! I'll look into Flash.
 
Don't even waste your time. Just download the Flash android app and register. Now you can rica your own simcard. Get a free welcome pack from flash that consist of 25 staterpacks of each network and a T-Shirt. Rica your own simcards. Also the flash staterpacks are sold in packs of 5 for R5 per pack for each network at Pep stores.

You get paid R5 per sim activation with Flash or ~R25 per sim activation from Smartcall or ~R35 per sim activation for Awesim and ~R20 per sim activation from Q-Mart ect ect
Is this safe and legit
 
Just shows how much of a farce the whole system is. I will have many sims rica'd in my name. Every time I get a overseas visitor the first thing is they want is a local sim and number even before they land.
 
Its easier to become a rica agent than to rica a sim at telkom stores(my experience with multiple stores)
It doesn't take much effort, just to fill in a few details on the app/ussd and you are done
(you need to see the required docs yourself)
 
And how do I get setup with Flash?
Idiots guide please?

Download the Flash app Black/Green cow logo and then register. Get your flash sim packs from Pep or Pep cell at R5 per pack of 5 and then just Rica them. Done. You get paid R5 for each sim activation paid monthly which you can then use to buy airtime or electricity if you are on prepaid or even pay DSTV if you have dstv.

You can ONLY RICA Flash simcards. The packs from Pep is not the ones on the shelf you need to ask at the cellphone counter for Flash sim packs. They sell for R5. You do not need to rica or provide any documents when buying them from Pep as you are the the Rica agent.

Never have to take rica docs with you again. :p
 
I went to MTN yesterday to RICA a prepaid sim to port from Vodacom to MTN. I was told that I have reached my limit of 10 sim cards on the system which means that someone has been using my ID for Rica registrations because I have not activated that many MTN sim cards. 2 at most. I was told that I need to contact ICASA and sort it out.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
 
I went to MTN yesterday to RICA a prepaid sim to port from Vodacom to MTN. I was told that I have reached my limit of 10 sim cards on the system which means that someone has been using my ID for Rica registrations because I have not activated that many MTN sim cards. 2 at most. I was told that I need to contact ICASA and sort it out.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

This has happened to me twice on Telkom but if the SIM is registered on your ID you have a legal right to insist that MTN do a SIM swop and give you the unknown SIM - this is easy with Telkom because all the numbers linked to your ID are listed on one page.

The problem with MTN is to get the mobile phone number for these other SIM's
 
This is unfortunately the new identity theft. Guys going through dustbins getting documents with ID numbers on and then you find yourself with 100 simcards ricad on your name and foreigners using the simcard.

Not to mention the Nigerians selling lost/stole bank cards that can be used to go through toll gates even if the card has been stopped.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X