New premium and machine related numbers announced

elvis_presley

Expert Member
The 14-digit limit breaks many services who use tagged numbers; the standard tagging length is 5 digits. WASPA members have appealed and this is likely to hold these regs up for a long time.

koeksGHT

Dealer
The 14-digit limit breaks many services who use tagged numbers; the standard tagging length is 5 digits. WASPA members have appealed and this is likely to hold these regs up for a long time.
Better for unsubs, to unsub now you have to sms 932423523235 and not 31223

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This makes sense if they can make it happen..

I will instantly block all 090 and 096-098 numbers.... no more of those fekking irritating machine recorded advertising calls hopefully.

koeksGHT

Dealer

I will instantly block all 090 and 096-098 numbers.... no more of those fekking irritating machine recorded advertising calls hopefully.
noooo leave the AVM alone! Only stupid people accept ;)

Vice

Expert Member

+1

Next the they must abolish the "Private" numbers, force everyone to reveal their identity. Even if they musk it, it will still do. I want to block all these nonsensical pursuers.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Better for unsubs, to unsub now you have to sms 932423523235 and not 31223
The tagged numbers are almost always used for replies, so you don't type them in. Us and our enterprise customers use them for things like support and interactive systems so a reply can be routed to the right customer/service. SMSes are still very useful when not used for spam. They're the only easy to integrate service with 100% accountability and traceability.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Can someone translate this gobeldygook into english please:confused::confused::confused:
ICASA thought they were doing something useful, but it's really a useless thing that will benefit nobody, and they've done it wrong anyway.

Most people can't just go and block all numbers originating from automated systems, because of things like bank OTPs, alarm company notifications, etc.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
ICASA though they were doing something useful, but it's really a useless thing that will benefit nobody, and they've done it wrong anyway.

Most people can't just go and block all numbers originating from automated systems, because of things like bank OTPs, alarm company notifications, etc.
I wish more banks would go the USSD route like Nedbank...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Next the they must abolish the "Private" numbers, force everyone to reveal their identity. Even if they musk it, it will still do. I want to block all these nonsensical pursuers.
100%. The most annoying is when a security company uses Private numbers - mine does - when you're out and you get a Private call you HAVE to answer it in case it happens to be them. Idiots.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Yeah, nice when it works - but there are lots of issues on many handsets with USSD push. Also, USSD push doesn't work on CellC or Telkom Mobile yet. They don't support LBS (location lookup) either. I think they're running their backoffice systems on Commodore 64's.

SMS is the only tech you can use to send a message to someone, and be 100% sure it'll get there, and if not, you'll know exactly why (out of range, SMS store full, etc). It's obviously annoying when used for spam, but that's the other edge of the sword I guess.

There are a few enterprise IM's out there with APIs comparable in functionality to SMS - that's where these guys should be going; offer that as an option with R5 off your bank fees.

Valerion

Expert Member
Push USSD ties up a session on the SS7 network, especially if you need to reply to it. And too easy to dismiss by accident IMO. I have had way too many "touch the screen while picking my phone up" incidents, and unlike an SMS you can't just retrieve the USSD message.

When my debit orders go off I get a flood of SMS's (by choice). I can go through them at my leisure and determine which ones are legit and which ones are not (if any) and dispute them. For that I need time to read it. With SMS's I can choose the time I do this at.