New wireless setup at home

Thinking

So I just did a speedtest, connecting with a cable to my router and got 196 down and 96 up. Testing on the wireless network, the speed is 26 down and 55 up. So I am thinking I need a new router, plus new wifi extensions.
I currently have a Netgear AC1600 router, with Tenda and TP Link extenders connected via cables

What do I need to buy to replace?

Keeping in mind that wifi range extenders will probably not work, hence the reason I originally connected the extenders with LAN cables.

powermzii

Expert Member
So I just did a speedtest, connecting with a cable to my router and got 196 down and 96 up. Testing on the wireless network, the speed is 26 down and 55 up. So I am thinking I need a new router, plus new wifi extensions.
I currently have a Netgear AC1600 router, with Tenda and TP Link extenders connected via cables

What do I need to buy to replace?

Keeping in mind that wifi range extenders will probably not work, hence the reason I originally connected the extenders with LAN cables.
What is your budget and how big the space you want to provide better wifi for? How many clients will connect to the wifi?

Start there ^

Since you have been able to run some cable then based on your budget either installing access points and different parts of the property OR installing a mesh system that uses the cables as backhaul will be your best bet.
And you are correct that range extenders are not great

Speedster

Honorary Master
Use a WiFi analyzer app on your phone to have a look at the what's going on in the spectrum. Also the test you did, how far away were you from the router?

Thinking

Use a WiFi analyzer app on your phone to have a look at the what's going on in the spectrum. Also the test you did, how far away were you from the router?
Any suggestions on the app to use?

Also, what do I do with the results?

Thinking

What is your budget and how big the space you want to provide better wifi for? How many clients will connect to the wifi?

Start there ^

Since you have been able to run some cable then based on your budget either installing access points and different parts of the property OR installing a mesh system that uses the cables as backhaul will be your best bet.
And you are correct that range extenders are not great

Around 14 - 16 clients. Double-story house +-310SqM. Not more than say R5K?

powermzii

Expert Member
Around 14 - 16 clients. Double-story house +-310SqM. Not more than say R5K?
Something like this could do the trick

3 nodes should be enough but 4 will more than cover across both floors. If you can run cable to all nodes then even better. The DecoM4s have good reviews by people who have them implemented here.

If you need something cheaper then you can get the Deco E4 but that's limited to 100Mpbs (M4 is up to gigabit)

Thinking

Something like this could do the trick

3 nodes should be enough but 4 will more than cover across both floors. If you can run cable to all nodes then even better. The DecoM4s have good reviews by people who have them implemented here.

If you need something cheaper then you can get the Deco E4 but that's limited to 100Mpbs (M4 is up to gigabit)

So you can use cable to the "mesh" extenders?

Speedster

Honorary Master
:) Yeah - There are a number of "Wifi Analyzer" apps. I tried four. None of them wants to do anything until you buy a subscription.
here's a whole list

Edit: or this

Speedster

Honorary Master
Just thinking about this now because that speed adjacent to the router doesn't make sense. Are you not perhaps connected to one of the extenders when you do the test? I'd suggest you unplug the extenders and rerun the test with the laptop next to the router

Thinking

Just thinking about this now because that speed adjacent to the router doesn't make sense. Are you not perhaps connected to one of the extenders when you do the test? I'd suggest you unplug the extenders and rerun the test with the laptop next to the router
Still getting slower speeds (although it's up to like 55mbps)
There must be something wrong with the router... or with some of the settings.