New WISP

John8

...so theres loads of wisps out there, some more worth noting than others, and some just taking the peep out of consumers with ridiculous "QoS" and contention etc.

I was wondering, posing this to existing WISPs (without the intention to step on any toes) and to consumers/techies (any input welcome), what considerations there are in starting a new Wisp?

- are you forced to register (with whom and at what cost) even if you only use 2.4/5Ghz?
- what is the preferred brand (mikrotik vs cambium vs Ubiquiti) for a small wisp
- who does a person contact for mast space and would they be open to more "competition"?
- How best to build backhaul from CPT? This is aimed for the Bergrivier area (Piketberg)
- what other considerations are there?

I honestly dont want to get rich or become a full-on wisp, but want ro consider this as a "sideline" for additional income and in turn use this to offer "better" priced services to consumers that dont have the luxury of various FTTH providers/FNO's.

jeevadotnet

@John8 i've dropped you a PM. We managed a couple of small wisps and bigger security firm's surveillance networks in Worcester, Tulbach and Ceres. a Couple of them we've grown from scratch with the owner.

The only fiber role player in Piketberg is Liquid Telecoms, so you're looking at R10 000pm for 10 Mb/s FTTB (from the latest pricelist I have from them) with a 3 year contract. Best is to get another WISP to provide you bandwidth, I might have a contact for you there.

Ldoyle1118

@John8 i've dropped you a PM. We managed a couple of small wisps and bigger security firm's surveillance networks in Worcester, Tulbach and Ceres. a Couple of them we've grown from scratch with the owner.

The only fiber role player in Piketberg is Liquid Telecoms, so you're looking at R10 000pm for 10 Mb/s FTTB (from the latest pricelist I have from them) with a 3 year contract. Best is to get another WISP to provide you bandwidth, I might have a contact for you there.
I know this is old, but hoping i can get a reply to this highjack .....
What can i expect to pay for a 1Gbps backhaul over fibre for a new wisp?

philaniH

8k LA BB or 20k LA Metro or 24k Liquid Carrier or 27k MTN Business. All depends where are you located.

philaniH

all this has not data, just L2 , oh 18k BBI exl Mast colocation.

HartsockZA

Welcome to give me a pm, we help small-med Wisps get back-haul. Just don't be surprised to see the prices in some spots.

HartsockZA

8k LA BB or 20k LA Metro or 24k Liquid Carrier or 27k MTN Business. All depends where are you located.
This is true, l2 for me was gonna be 18k a month installation was like 35k on DFA backhaul on a 24 month contract. Pretoria East