News24 Android App

Bosvark@

Expert Member
While driving home yesterday the NEWS24 app consumed around 2GB of my cell data resulting in a nasty bill for nothing... The majority of this usage is 'background' data. Did anyone else experience this problem? Looking at the users comments on the Android app store it seems I am not the only one but just how big is this problem?

Images attached... Screenshot_2017-04-13-07-51-31.jpg Screenshot_20170412-175038.jpg Screenshot_20170412-175351.jpg

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Install news24 edge, their new app.

Haven't see that spike in usage but people really should choose contract options that don't allow them to go out of bundle.

chunk10

Banned
You have an android phone make sure you have your data set to turn off when a data limit is reached. Always no exceptions.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Looking at that graph it doesn't show any spike on the last part - the 12th of April? So it seems like your data usage is pretty much the same as earlier in the month.

konfab

Honorary Master
1st problem: you use News24 as your news site. That place rots your brain as there are no comments and autistic techies to call out the b.s. that gets written. This is why MyBB N&CA is significantly better as you are guaranteed that there will be people who will disagree with whatever is written and will post a counter argument. If you read the news here with the comments at least you have a chance of seeing the actual truth instead of the truth the News24 editor wants you to know.

2nd problem: you allow Naspers to put their trash on your phone.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Why use an app when the website is just fine? I mean in general, not just in this case.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
1st problem: you use News24 as your news site. That place rots your brain as there are no comments and autistic techies to call out the b.s. that gets written. This is why MyBB N&CA is significantly better as you are guaranteed that there will be people who will disagree with whatever is written and will post a counter argument. If you read the news here with the comments at least you have a chance of seeing the actual truth instead of the truth the News24 editor wants you to know.

Wanna go count how many News24 articles (or sources of their articles) are the source of the N&CA subforum?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
72O44cMOGLZ65wkSuthkq2-0igK5K9w1QgBs6zclbCUwU-jk9vlupuck_zvQv6eez4U=w300-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.news24.edge&hl=en

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
That's precisely why Android allows you to block background data on a mobile connection :whistling:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
You can do that with Vodacom? :confused:

Yes, but it depends on the contract. I'm on uChoose Flexi which is basically the old Top Up account. Get my account credited every month, buy data with the funds/airtime on it. If it runs out it cuts out. Have a R600 "buffer" on the account so if it runs out it means something very bad happened, liek in the OP.

Batista

Executive Member
Hang on a second, so everyone thinks its ok for a news app to download 1.8 gigs in the background?

konfab

Honorary Master
Wanna go count how many News24 articles (or sources of their articles) are the source of the N&CA subforum?

So why do you need an app then? You can get the journalistic wonder of News24 with comments without having to install a data hungry app.

Thor

Honorary Master

I won't call mybb "News"