Nokia 1 Dual Sim

John5

I've had quite the frustrating week regarding this phone. As I currently need a 4G device, preferably one that is capable of using two sim cards, I've had my eye on the Nokia 1 for quite some time now. Every bit of information on it that you can find mentions that it is a dual sim phone.

The web page for this phone on the official Nokia website can be quoted as saying "Enjoy 4G LTE connectivity for streaming and surfing, and easily switch between SIM cards thanks to Dual SIM."

Screenshot_20190226-205134.png
Clicking on "Buy now" in the top right hand corner takes you to the price of R999 and a drop down list of shops where this phone is available.

Screenshot_20190226-205244.png

There is actually no indication anywhere that there is a single sim variant and I had no idea that such a variant existed. So I went to the first shop in that list, Game, purchased the Nokia 1, got home and opened it up and discovered that it is only a single sim phone. I did however, still pay R999 for it. So I returned it. Thankfully they took it back and returned my money without any hassle but when I asked about this, the cellphone salesperson very confidently said "Nokia doesn't make dual sim phones." When I showed them the official Nokia website saying that it is a dual sim phone, they said "must be a typo". Sure thing, Nokia doesn't make dual sim phones and they just made the same typo regarding dual sim phones on every product page. Got it. I then also went into Incredible Connection and Cell C and nobody knows anything about a dual sim Nokia 1.

I emailed Nokia themselves asking about this and got the response "The device does have a dual sim version available but maybe the partners we are working with choose to sell only the single sim version." Great, so basically Nokia doesn't give a sh*t that they're advertising a dual sim phone for R999 but all the shops they listed "choose" to sell the single sim version at the same price instead. Why the **** would they choose to do that unless they are wanting to trick people into buying things that they don't want? Why would any of these retailers f*cking choose to do this unless they are assholes that don't think South Africa should have good value for money?

So anyway, this is why I am here. Does anyone around here know where one could get a dual sim Nokia 1 in South Africa? I've looked around for other cheap phones around the same price range that are both dual sim and 4G but honestly the thought of a Hisense smart phone doesn't exactly fill me with excitement. Can anyone point me in the direction of dual sim Nokia phones or perhaps even a reputable alternative within the same price range? I'm not interested in having twenty 3000 megapixel cameras dotted around the phone or something so large that it can't even fit in your pocket. I just want a basic device capable of using two sim cards with a 4G network. Doesn't even have to be Android. Does such a thing exist?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
@John5
GSMArena shows it as "Dual SIM (Micro-SIM/Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)" but doesn't show that there are single sim variants. https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_1-9052.php

Are you aware that the second sim (or is it the first sim?)goes where the sd card goes? You can have one or the other. Does it look like this inside? Try removing the sd card and inserting a sim.
Nokia-1-29.jpg

Nobody Important

Executive Member
@John5
GSMArena shows it as "Dual SIM (Micro-SIM/Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)" but doesn't show that there are single sim variants. https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_1-9052.php

Are you aware that the second sim (or is it the first sim?)goes where the sd card goes? You can have one or the other. Does it look like this inside? Try removing the sd card and inserting a sim.
View attachment 626006
He returned it.

Besides it may or may not have the slot, but it is also disabled in the ROM.

John5

@John5

Yup, the info for this phone is all over the show as far as what is advertised and what you get goes. I also trusted GSMArena for my information. I was also looking for where to insert the second slot and found that photo. Here is what the phone that I received from Game looked like:

Attachments

John5

Bastards!
The impression that I get here is that all of these retailers got together and decided that South Africa doesn't need dual sim Nokia phones. There's a model with more features for the same price, can't let South Africans have that now, can we? Better give them the crappiest version of all the phones instead. Because South Africa, I guess. Like PayPal or various streaming services.

It honestly makes me feel like certain things are sh*t in this country for no real good or f*cking logical reason at all. Either greed, retailers teaming up with networks to make sure that there aren't too many easily accessable dual sim phones in this country; or just plain f*cking stupidity. Probably a bit of both. Greed and stupidity are probably the greatest proudly South African products.

newby_investor

Expert Member
The impression that I get here is that all of these retailers got together and decided that South Africa doesn't need dual sim Nokia phones. There's a model with more features for the same price, can't let South Africans have that now, can we? Better give them the crappiest version of all the phones instead. Because South Africa, I guess. Like PayPal or various streaming services.

It honestly makes me feel like certain things are sh*t in this country for no real good or f*cking logical reason at all. Either greed, retailers teaming up with networks to make sure that there aren't too many easily accessable dual sim phones in this country; or just plain f*cking stupidity. Probably a bit of both. Greed and stupidity are probably the greatest proudly South African products.
Vodacom and MTN decided you don't need dual-sim phones because it means you can get data bundles from Telkom or Rain which are cheaper.

I've bought dual-sim phones from Takealot fairly often in the past, though my current Nokia 8 is admittedly the single-sim variety.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Too true too true

I got an EOL Xiaomi ( LTE ) from Incredible for R999.99
Proper dual sim as well as 64GB memory card slot
Works a treat

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Vodacom and MTN decided you don't need dual-sim phones because it means you can get data bundles from Telkom or Rain which are cheaper.

I've bought dual-sim phones from Takealot fairly often in the past, though my current Nokia 8 is admittedly the single-sim variety.
Same. Equipped the family with dual SIM Xiaomis which are still going strong.

braniac

I've had quite the frustrating week regarding this phone. As I currently need a 4G device, preferably one that is capable of using two sim cards, I've had my eye on the Nokia 1 for quite some time now. Every bit of information on it that you can find mentions that it is a dual sim phone.

The web page for this phone on the official Nokia website can be quoted as saying "Enjoy 4G LTE connectivity for streaming and surfing, and easily switch between SIM cards thanks to Dual SIM."

View attachment 625986
Clicking on "Buy now" in the top right hand corner takes you to the price of R999 and a drop down list of shops where this phone is available.

View attachment 625988

There is actually no indication anywhere that there is a single sim variant and I had no idea that such a variant existed. So I went to the first shop in that list, Game, purchased the Nokia 1, got home and opened it up and discovered that it is only a single sim phone. I did however, still pay R999 for it. So I returned it. Thankfully they took it back and returned my money without any hassle but when I asked about this, the cellphone salesperson very confidently said "Nokia doesn't make dual sim phones." When I showed them the official Nokia website saying that it is a dual sim phone, they said "must be a typo". Sure thing, Nokia doesn't make dual sim phones and they just made the same typo regarding dual sim phones on every product page. Got it. I then also went into Incredible Connection and Cell C and nobody knows anything about a dual sim Nokia 1.

I emailed Nokia themselves asking about this and got the response "The device does have a dual sim version available but maybe the partners we are working with choose to sell only the single sim version." Great, so basically Nokia doesn't give a sh*t that they're advertising a dual sim phone for R999 but all the shops they listed "choose" to sell the single sim version at the same price instead. Why the **** would they choose to do that unless they are wanting to trick people into buying things that they don't want? Why would any of these retailers f*cking choose to do this unless they are assholes that don't think South Africa should have good value for money?

So anyway, this is why I am here. Does anyone around here know where one could get a dual sim Nokia 1 in South Africa? I've looked around for other cheap phones around the same price range that are both dual sim and 4G but honestly the thought of a Hisense smart phone doesn't exactly fill me with excitement. Can anyone point me in the direction of dual sim Nokia phones or perhaps even a reputable alternative within the same price range? I'm not interested in having twenty 3000 megapixel cameras dotted around the phone or something so large that it can't even fit in your pocket. I just want a basic device capable of using two sim cards with a 4G network. Doesn't even have to be Android. Does such a thing exist?
https://www.hi-online.co.za/pdp/nokia-1/_/A-270085AAEG7

There specs show phone as dual SIM.