Nokia 8 address formatted incorrectly

Anton L

I have a Nokia 8 running Android 8.1.0 and otherwise up to date.

When trying to send SMS'S from either Messenger or Messages using a five digit numerical address I get a "phone number formatted incorrectly" response and the message is not delivered.

I looked everywhere for a solution and also contacted Vodacom but the consultant working from a template couldn't help me either. It seems as if this problem is well known but I just can't find any solution anywhere.

PLEASE HELP

GIGZ

When trying to send SMS'S from either Messenger or Messages using a five digit numerical address I get a "phone number formatted incorrectly" response and the message is not delivered.

I looked everywhere for a solution and also contacted Vodacom but the consultant working from a template couldn't help me either. It seems as if this problem is well known but I just can't find any solution anywhere.

PLEASE HELP
Messaging Settings?

marioat1

Expert Member

PLEASE HELP
Sounds like your messages apps are not upto date. Uninstall their updates, might fix it.
Also check that you haven't set your apps to insert an area code always.

Anton L

At long last I resolved the problem and it has everything to do with Vodacom making even more money out of us.

After searching the Internet and contacting Vodacom customer care nothing helped and only going into a vodashop was the problem resolved by a young staff member.

Using a five digit numeric adress to send a message to businesses to for example access outstanding credit always displayed the message "address formatted incorrectly" except when such messages went to vodacom direct.

After fiddling with the settings on the phone for a while it was suggested that I buy airtime despite the fact that I had hours of airtime left. Ten Rand's worth off airtime immediately solved the problem and I could for example check my voter status at the IEC and check on Home Affairs progress with a passport application.

To me it seems as if Vodacom won't allow its customers to use their normal airtime to send messages with a five digit numeric adress other than to vodacom self and force their customers to pay extra for any other message using the five digit numeric adress.

If I'm correct then Vodacom once again stands accused of monopoly exploitative behaviour.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
To me it seems as if Vodacom won't allow its customers to use their normal airtime to send messages with a five digit numeric adress other than to vodacom self and force their customers to pay extra for any other message using the five digit numeric adress.
If they are not sent to free sms numbers (i.e. when VC sends you spam and you need to reply "Stop"). If you airtime is minutes and data (as in a contract 150min/500mb) then there is no way to charge you so it won't send.