Not all your PC games will run on Windows 10

And that's why I am not moving over to newer windows. I'm fine with windows 7.
 
MS can shove their DRM up their arses....
I refuse to use any version of Windows beyond 7.... and I am in the process of reducing my dependency on Windows altogether...
 
I had a lot of trouble playing many GoG games on Win 8 when I originally made the switch, and none of those have DRM. I think it just hits a point where support for older games becomes very difficult. Especially when we're talking games that release 15 years ago and the like.
 
I haven't experienced any issues, nor heard of any popular game that doesn't work on Windows 10.

And that's why I am not moving over to newer windows. I'm fine with windows 7.

Once games start using DX12 you'll move, because the performance gains are massive.
 
MS can shove their DRM up their arses....
I refuse to use any version of Windows beyond 7.... and I am in the process of reducing my dependency on Windows altogether...

I'm hoping that SteamOS takes. Plenty of games with Linux support already, but it doesn't seem to have gone as big as most people hoped.
 
MS can shove their DRM up their arses....
I refuse to use any version of Windows beyond 7.... and I am in the process of reducing my dependency on Windows altogether...

Typical knee-jerk nonsense, making such a statement without doing any research on what the article is actually talking about:

1) This is not MS DRM this is *third party* DRM which is the cause of the issue - DRM which was known to reduce security of the underlying system.
2) Updated security measures within the OS to prevent applications from being able to insert themselves into areas they should not be, thereby compromising the security of your machine, is the reason that applications such as SecuROM and SafeDisk will no longer work since they can no longer perform the types of operations they did in the past - they did the same things that many malware continue to do today.

This is actually a GOOD THING, not a bad thing as it is about further hardening the OS against external attack. The only bad aspect of it is that the entertainment software industry used these DRM systems in the first place, which have been constantly haunting legitimate customers and never the pirates themselves.
 
This is actually a GOOD THING, not a bad thing as it is about further hardening the OS against external attack
Maybe if they designed Windows properly, this wouldn't be a necessity.
 
People are idiots.

Go play the game on your Windows XP if you want to. This is nothing to do with MS but rather the silly low level drivers that these games install.
 
Maybe if they designed Windows properly, this wouldn't be a necessity.

If you had ever written software in your life you would understand that what you're asking there is an absolute impossibility. The ever evolving landscape and technology in the hands of those attacking systems mean that new and innovative approaches to breaking security are constantly being found, and new technologies for securing against those attacks are discovered and implemented constantly.

Do you seriously believe that the Linux of 5, 10, 15 years ago was just as secure as the Linux of today? Or MacOS? I can absolutely guarantee you that they never were. I guess they were all "not designed properly" then. These systems are constantly evolving, because they have to.

Microsoft made many mistakes in the early years because they never thought that the environment would be as security-hostile as it is today, but Microsoft was certainly never alone in those assumptions and there have been plenty of critical security issues that have affected many vital applications (end user and operating system alike) over the years.

I guess they weren't designed properly either.
 
elvis_presley;15 881098 said:
You do realise you're defending SecuROM DRM?

Never thought I'd see the day!

No I am not...
Read again what I said...
 
No I am not...
Read again what I said...

You assumed that the DRM guys' systems were awesome, well written and secure, and that MS did this because Windows was vulnerable, not the DRM systems running on it.

We all know the VAST majority of security issues come from 3rd party software (which this DRM is), not the OS itself.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X