Not getting the upgraded 10Mbps speed

ML18

Hi,

I have an ADSL at 4Mbps with my ISP (Axxess) and decided to check if I could upgrade to a higher speed. I checked both on Telkom and Axxess Webpage for the available max speed and it's 10Mbps. I decided to upgrade and even contact my ISP to confirm if I am on the upgraded 10Mbps speed. They replied saying that it's "on" on their side and that I should contact Telkom to upgrade their line.

I then contacted Telkom if they could upgrade their line and they replied saying that I don't have that speed available, even when I told them that their website says otherwise. They then said I can only have the 5Mbps deal that displays under "Deals available for you on ADSL (up to 10Mbps)." This left me really confused as my router doesn't report anything up to 5Mbps.

I've attached the statistics that my router reports.

1616495806654.png

As the screenshot shows, I'm still stuck on 4Mbps. The Max Rate is quite a bit higher, although I've heard that its sometimes not what the current exchange supports. I don't know where or how far the exchange is and if that could be the problem. Would this be my ISP's fault or Telkom's? I'm not sure what I'm missing here, or what terminology I'm suppose to use to communicate to these people to get my ADSL up to 10Mbps, as anything over 4Mbps would be beneficial right now. I would really appreciate any feedback on this.

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
Post your router stats
You have to keep phoning to get a competent person to assist you, I had to jump through multiple hurdles to get an upgrade via telkom which resulted in a huge mess, paying R1400 for 20Mbps adsl.
Zero assistance , so cancelation in progress

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
The problem is not with the line stats it's with the modulation.

You are connected to a dslam that is served with ATM uplink. These are capped at 4Mbps regardless of line stats.

Ask your ISP to log a fault to see if Openserve can switch you to a port on the dslam that supports adsl2+

This might a be mini dslam linked to an isam further away so might not be possible but worth a shot.

Your line profile is likely already on 10Mbps due to the free upgrades. Also 4Mbps is no more it's 5Mbps hence my suspicion about the dslam capability.

p2aqua

Same here .... Axxess has upgraded the line speed to 10meg (from 4) according to my dashboard but I only get 4meg. They have escalated the fault with telkom (Openserve) twice now, resulting in no change. The Openserve techie says that Axxess must request an upgrade, before they can change it to 10meg. Last year the free temporary upgrade worked fine. No explanation is offered by either party who have no interest in solving the issue.
I am totally disgusted by the lack of service from both Axxess and Openserve and will be moving on when convenient to do so.

ML18

The problem is not with the line stats it's with the modulation.

You are connected to a dslam that is served with ATM uplink. These are capped at 4Mbps regardless of line stats.

Ask your ISP to log a fault to see if Openserve can switch you to a port on the dslam that supports adsl2+

This might a be mini dslam linked to an isam further away so might not be possible but worth a shot.

Your line profile is likely already on 10Mbps due to the free upgrades. Also 4Mbps is no more it's 5Mbps hence my suspicion about the dslam capability.
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't seem like I'm going to win this as it seems I will just be forced to downgrade. My ISP first told me that my area doesn't support more than 5Mpbs but confirmed I am syncing on 4Mbps. When I asked to log a fault with Openserve — to the exact same wording as you've said — I was redirected to someone else and was advised to contact Openserve myself and report the fault as they are the line provider.

So yeah, not very pleased... seems like I have to be the middleman to sort my internet out.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't seem like I'm going to win this as it seems I will just be forced to downgrade. My ISP first told me that my area doesn't support more than 5Mpbs but confirmed I am syncing on 4Mbps. When I asked to log a fault with Openserve — to the exact same wording as you've said — I was redirected to someone else and was advised to contact Openserve myself and report the fault as they are the line provider.

So yeah, not very pleased... seems like I have to be the middleman to sort my internet out.

Send me a pm with the number, name and surname and a contact number then I can log it for you. You can log it yourself also on the app or via the sms line if I'm not mistaken.

rejodasi

Same here, signed up for a 10meg line when the technician came he said he was here to do a 5meg line and we should contact the ISP regarding the speeds, They downgraded to a 5meg line and put through an upgrade to 10 meg that was supposed to be ready around the 18th March. Still on 5meg at the moment and they've escalated it to openserve countless times now. The technician that came to check the line the first time that 10meg is possible on my end and their side. Today Telkom contacted saying they will send someone out sometime to investigate on premises.

I cant log anything on the app it sends an OTP to some other number that I don't own.
1618388314602.png

cavedog

Honorary Master
Same here, signed up for a 10meg line when the technician came he said he was here to do a 5meg line and we should contact the ISP regarding the speeds, They downgraded to a 5meg line and put through an upgrade to 10 meg that was supposed to be ready around the 18th March. Still on 5meg at the moment and they've escalated it to openserve countless times now. The technician that came to check the line the first time that 10meg is possible on my end and their side. Today Telkom contacted saying they will send someone out sometime to investigate on premises.

I cant log anything on the app it sends an OTP to some other number that I don't own.
View attachment 1051949

Your line is on G.DMT. If you were on a port that is limited you will not exceed 4096k syn rate. The fact that it syncs at 6400k means it should be supported. What modem are you using? Who is the ISP?

rejodasi

Your line is on G.DMT. If you were on a port that is limited you will not exceed 4096k syn rate. The fact that it syncs at 6400k means it should be supported. What modem are you using? Who is the ISP?
I have two routers that I've used on this line the TD-W8961N and the TG589vn v3 for its 12V. ISP axxess

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have two routers that I've used on this line the TD-W8961N and the TG589vn v3 for its 12V.

Okay drop me the service number in a pm let me check what the service speed shows. Maybe it's still on the 5Mbps profile.