Not quite Linux - but distressing none the same - RIP Solaris...

Neoprod

Honorary Master
We use Solaris at work...article says Oracle guarantees support into 2030 :whistling:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Solaris on Sun hardware was the thing for almost all european manufacturers at one point. I recall some places paying upwards of R15k for Sun terminals with 21" CRTs.

ponder

Honorary Master
Oracle is evil, probably the most hated it company out there.

ponder

Honorary Master
I recall some places paying upwards of R15k for Sun terminals with 21" CRTs.
That actually sounds cheap to me, sure it was only R15k?

Wish I had a pic of the huge rooms full of sun boxes (all with monitor+kyb+mouse) telkom had to manage their sdh transmission infrastructure. If you like sun you would have jizzed in pants at the sight of it.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master

Wish I had a pic of the huge rooms full of sun boxes (all with monitor+kyb+mouse) telkom had to manage their sdh transmission infrastructure. If you like sun you would have jizzed in pants at the sight of it.
Mid 90s... yep.
You could get a run of the mill Wyse for R1.5-2k back then.

Sl8er

Executive Member
That does sound rather cheap.
A company I started working for mid 90's sold 8 or 10 Sun machines (I forget, but it wasn't more than 10, for sure). The check I had to go collect was just-just under R1mn.
(I'll never forget that, because I was a kid driving around with a R1mn check, just lying on the car seat next to me, still thinking, "I wonder how far I'd get if I managed to get the cash and leave the country." :D )

Nod

Executive Member
My first job was installing Ultra 1s and 2s, then moving on to v880 clusters.
Good solid HW that ran for years. But booting them after 5+ years of continues uptime sometimes caused HW failures.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Good solid HW that ran for years. But booting them after 5+ years of continues uptime sometimes caused HW failures.
Your patch management needed work ;)

I ran some E4500s and 6500s. Rebooting them on sunday nights after patching was scary. They knew EXACTLY how long your patience was before you started panicking and getting your keys ready to drive in to the office. They waited that + 30 seconds before finishing POST.... The day I installed some ssh-capable serial terminal servers my life improved immeasurably. Once I figured out how to stop them sending a break when you disconnect, which dropped the server to ok> prompt...

Daruk

Honorary Master
That does sound rather cheap.
A company I started working for mid 90's sold 8 or 10 Sun machines (I forget, but it wasn't more than 10, for sure). The check I had to go collect was just-just under R1mn.
(I'll never forget that, because I was a kid driving around with a R1mn check, just lying on the car seat next to me, still thinking, "I wonder how far I'd get if I managed to get the cash and leave the country." :D )
"8-10 Sun machines"
Terminals?

Sl8er

Executive Member
"8-10 Sun machines"
Terminals?
Fck dude, I don't know, I can't remember -it was a lifetime ago.
That was the first and last time I had anything "to do" with Sun.
All I can tell you is that they were pricey AF. ;)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Fck dude, I don't know, I can't remember -it was a lifetime ago.
That was the first and last time I had anything "to do" with Sun.
All I can tell you is that they were pricey AF. ;)
OK, so definitely not terminals. Don't know why anyone thinks R15k for a Sun terminal is cheap lol. I suspect there's a bit of confusion about what exactly a terminal is. Basically a thin client.

INOfentse

WOW! I ran the V880s without drama. I think the hardware I had issues with were Fujitsu Primepowers along with S80 FibreCAT storages.

INOfentse

Your patch management needed work ;)

I ran some E4500s and 6500s. Rebooting them on sunday nights after patching was scary. They knew EXACTLY how long your patience was before you started panicking and getting your keys ready to drive in to the office. They waited that + 30 seconds before finishing POST.... The day I installed some ssh-capable serial terminal servers my life improved immeasurably. Once I figured out how to stop them sending a break when you disconnect, which dropped the server to ok> prompt...
Oh my goodness. You are taking me down serious memory lane. Had a few terminal concentrators running for Fujitsu and Sun V880. These made my life easier except sometimes I could not send break as terminal was locked.
Things got better with the E6900 cluster, T5240 4U servers. The ALOM and ILOM made a difference.

Patch management was not so bad for me because we had a very good Solaris patch management system. I think it was only once, for a customer in Algeria or Morocco, that I had to intervene in patching.