OCZ Vertex 4 vs Vertex 3 MAX IOPS...?

flashfire208

No , vertex 4 is newer , faster and so far much more reliable . Go for the vertex 4 , its a no-brainer

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Looks like the NAND type is the diff. Its not really explained nicely anywhere as far as I can tell.

V3 MI is based on Toggle NAND, while the V4 is IMFT NAND. The first is Toshiba tech while the second is Intel&Micron. Toggle NAND seems to be preferred, but I'm guessing other advances @V4 have offset this & brought the perf broadly on par with each other.

I'd go for the V4. Bit of a guess though.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
If you willing to spend the additional money; I'd recommend you throw it after capacity (you'll miss capacity more than spec); you really won't day to day notice the difference between the two drives.

I have the Vertex 3 and the Agility 3 in two different Macs and don't notice any significant difference in performance i.e. nothing that justifies a more expensive unit.

For example: http://www.rebeltech.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=4977

Last edited:

ashfaak

The Vertex 4 has OCZ's own Indilinx Everest 2 controller, whereas the Vertex 3 uses a SandForce SF-2281 controller.
The IOPS on the Vertex 4 is actually higher than the Vertex 3.
It makes sense to go with the Vertex 4.

GreyBush

Executive Member
so vertex 4 is faster, cheaper, newer tech and has more storage space and this is still a question?

Rudimental

Expert Member
They came out quite close together, and the price difference is confusing.

It's a fair chunk of change to be spending, it's nice to get a sanity check from those in the know.

Vertex 3 uses a Sandforce controller, whose speed is largely derived from its ability to perform on-the-fly data compression. In the event that data is incompressible, write speed decreases by a fair amount. The high write speeds you see listed are for compressible data.

Vertex 4 uses a slightly modified Marvell controller with custom firmware. This controller does not rely on data compression, and so is agnostic as to whether data is compressible or not. This means that write speeds are more consistent over a wide range of data.

Vertex 3 MAX IOPS is a premium version of the Vertex 3, using 32nm Toggle NAND (virtually identical to 34nm IMFT Synchronous NAND - the importance here is the process size), and so your extra cost comes largely from the more expensive NAND and presumably smaller production run. For certain workloads, the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS will be slightly faster, but I doubt that this justifies the >R700 price difference, even if those are common workloads for you.

Last edited:
From the date on the review you have linked to it seems that the tests on the Vertex 4 were run prior to the V1.4RC firmware update that has significantly increased the 128KB read speeds. In some cases the newer Vertex 4's are 110% faster than the older firmware.

Read more here: http://www.techspot.com/news/48486-...te-inbound-doubles-writes-on-128gb-model.html

Pricing is great at the moment and even if you don't buy from us I can assure you you will love the new found performance that an SSD offers.

Andy

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
From the date on the review you have linked to it seems that the tests on the Vertex 4 were run prior to the V1.4RC firmware update that has significantly increased the 128KB read speeds. In some cases the newer Vertex 4's are 110% faster than the older firmware.

Read more here: http://www.techspot.com/news/48486-...te-inbound-doubles-writes-on-128gb-model.html

I was going to chip in with this because no-one else mentioned it. The Vertex 4 and the Plextor Toggle-NAND drives are equal in performance and OCZ is only going to improve performance going forward.