Offer to purchase question

Now that we in the Midlands we started slowly looking at properties.

But when I look at something, it just doesn't feel right. Everything about the homes are just wrong. Im just thinking if I can just find a nice site and build something small, at least it will face the right way, spaces will flow nicely, well ventilated and insulated, placed in the correct place on the site......
 
Now that we in the Midlands we started slowly looking at properties.

But when I look at something, it just doesn't feel right. Everything about the homes are just wrong. Im just thinking if I can just find a nice site and build something small, at least it will face the right way, spaces will flow nicely, well ventilated and insulated, placed in the correct place on the site......
I have built two of my own houses and loved it. My current house is perfect for us.
 
I have built two of my own houses and loved it. My current house is perfect for us.
You want to share maybe a bit more? Do's, Don'ts etc. Things that worked, things you would have done differently. I don't know... Anything as there is not much on poeple doing their own builds.

I think my first step is to draw up something basic, quantify it, and start getting an idea what it will cost from the slab up. KZN is not the cheapest to build.
 
You want to share maybe a bit more? Do's, Don'ts etc. Things that worked, things you would have done differently. I don't know... Anything as there is not much on poeple doing their own builds.

I think my first step is to draw up something basic, quantify it, and start getting an idea what it will cost from the slab up. KZN is not the cheapest to build.
Yes, first get a basic idea what you want and get the costs from that.

Try to get as much cash as possible, you want to pay as little as possible interim interest to the bank.
 
You want to share maybe a bit more? Do's, Don'ts etc. Things that worked, things you would have done differently. I don't know... Anything as there is not much on poeple doing their own builds.

I think my first step is to draw up something basic, quantify it, and start getting an idea what it will cost from the slab up. KZN is not the cheapest to build.

I haven't built from scratch but have renovated a house extensively before so I have a little experience but one suggestion that is often overlooked:

Make sure the house is designed for your needs as well as taking in to account the wider market so you don't end up with a house that suits you and no-one else which could affect resale potential and value.
 
If staying in a sectional title and there are two floors sharing one roof(on the outside), and if the person on the groundfloor is thinking of getting solar panels for the roof.
can the person on the groundfloor install solar panels or does that roof belong to the person staying on the first floor?
 
If staying in a sectional title and there are two floors sharing one roof(on the outside), and if the person on the groundfloor is thinking of getting solar panels for the roof.
can the person on the groundfloor install solar panels or does that roof belong to the person staying on the first floor?
It's common property I would assume yes?

I would assume that is up to the trustees. Worse case they will compromise and have the roof shared/divided? Best to speak to the trustees I would assume.
 
If staying in a sectional title and there are two floors sharing one roof(on the outside), and if the person on the groundfloor is thinking of getting solar panels for the roof.
can the person on the groundfloor install solar panels or does that roof belong to the person staying on the first floor?

Sectional appearance is something huge. You can install solar panels in your unit, within your mediate line, which means your walls. On the outside its a special meeting vote where 75% of all owners must say yes.
 
It's common property I would assume yes?

I would assume that is up to the trustees. Worse case they will compromise and have the roof shared/divided? Best to speak to the trustees I would assume.
Sectional appearance is something huge. You can install solar panels in your unit, within your mediate line, which means your walls. On the outside its a special meeting vote where 75% of all owners must say yes.
my home is within an estate with many sub- complexes. there are units with solar panels that owners have installed In the other complexes.
installing solar would be on my bucket list but something a year or two, away when finances allow, which is why I have not applied to my hoa as it is something in the near future.

at least it sounds like there is hope. Was not sure if my roof was considered the floor of the people upstairs.

this stage 6 is a killer hey
 
my home is within an estate with many sub- complexes. there are units with solar panels that owners have installed In the other complexes.
installing solar would be on my bucket list but something a year or two, away when finances allow, which is why I have not applied to my hoa as it is something in the near future.

at least it sounds like there is hope. Was not sure if my roof was considered the floor of the people upstairs.

this stage 6 is a killer hey

The roof belongs to the BC, if its a complex. If a HOA, and its full title within the estate, its yours.

If you say people above you, then clearly sectional title.
 
my home is within an estate with many sub- complexes. there are units with solar panels that owners have installed In the other complexes.
installing solar would be on my bucket list but something a year or two, away when finances allow, which is why I have not applied to my hoa as it is something in the near future.

at least it sounds like there is hope. Was not sure if my roof was considered the floor of the people upstairs.

this stage 6 is a killer hey
Just double check as technically I think it's a sectional title if you share a roof. So trustees need to approve. If a full title or HOA, the building is yours and you can do as you please
 
Just double check as technically I think it's a sectional title if you share a roof. So trustees need to approve. If a full title or HOA, the building is yours and you can do as you please
it is a sectional title. There is a hoa as there are homes that are full title within the estate
 
Now that we in the Midlands we started slowly looking at properties.

But when I look at something, it just doesn't feel right. Everything about the homes are just wrong. Im just thinking if I can just find a nice site and build something small, at least it will face the right way, spaces will flow nicely, well ventilated and insulated, placed in the correct place on the site......
Same struggle for me! Add in the uncertainty in SA at the moment and the fact that rentals often work out less than the interest paid on the same loan and renting looks better and better by the day. That said, I put an offer in on a guest house in my local area last month and now waiting for the lawyers to do their lawyery things. As long as there's income offsetting the risk, I'm sort of ok with it
 
Now that we in the Midlands we started slowly looking at properties.

But when I look at something, it just doesn't feel right. Everything about the homes are just wrong. Im just thinking if I can just find a nice site and build something small, at least it will face the right way, spaces will flow nicely, well ventilated and insulated, placed in the correct place on the site......
Dont rush we looked for 2 years in our area and about 20 houses till we found exactly what we looked for. Remember it's a marathon not sprint.
 
it is a sectional title. There is a hoa as there are homes that are full title within the estate

... but what happens if people below you use the shared roof for their solar? Where will you install your panels?
 
Now that we in the Midlands we started slowly looking at properties.

But when I look at something, it just doesn't feel right. Everything about the homes are just wrong. Im just thinking if I can just find a nice site and build something small, at least it will face the right way, spaces will flow nicely, well ventilated and insulated, placed in the correct place on the site......
I also have found that builders of new homes have taken alot of shortcuts.
 
Now that we in the Midlands we started slowly looking at properties.

But when I look at something, it just doesn't feel right. Everything about the homes are just wrong. Im just thinking if I can just find a nice site and build something small, at least it will face the right way, spaces will flow nicely, well ventilated and insulated, placed in the correct place on the site......
Does it cost more/less to build from scratch?
 
Yeah, it will need special supervision.

I am actually toying with the idea if I can get registered with NHBRC somehow and what it will take. Also learn the basics of the trade so I can pick up on issues.
I regret not hiring a home inspector
 
Does it cost more/less to build from scratch?
I just went through the exercise in Johannesburg and based on the quantity surveyors calculations and trying to engineer the costs with the architect it would have been about 20% more expensive than the house I ended up buying before any unexpected extras etc.

I bought in the same estate I was considering building in. Erf sizes are almost exactly the same. House I bought is slightly larger than what I was going to build but 9 years old already.

Full process for the build was estimated at 12-14 months including plan approvals etc.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X