Office 365, Office 2013 SA variants explained

bigboy529

Expert Member
So a question just to get this cristal clear. if I buy 365 would I have word, excel, outlook etc installed on my pc as programs like they currently are with my office 2007, or does everything work through a browser on the internet?
If so and you have 4 laptops in a household like in my current situation, the R700 or whatever per year is actually not a bad deal.

ramar

So a question just to get this cristal clear. if I buy 365 would I have word, excel, outlook etc installed on my pc as programs like they currently are with my office 2007, or does everything work through a browser on the internet?
If so and you have 4 laptops in a household like in my current situation, the R700 or whatever per year is actually not a bad deal.
Yes, that is how i understand it. You can also use the applications online through a web browser if are using a PC that does not have the office installed locally. You will have to download the installation files.

rhowell

In my opinion MS has never woken up to the fact that the cost of their products deter upgrades. I know people who are still using version 4.6 and it does everything they need. I've been on 2007 for ages and I don't see the need to upgrade. there are no new compelling features and the cost is prohibative.

Allin

Expert Member
Dear Mr. Rootshtain, I purchased MS Office Home & Buisness in November and registered for the free upgrade to Office 2013. Trying to download I get the following error:
<012913> If you think you have received this message in error, contact a Microsoft Customer Support representative.
Please rectify the problem or you will lose paying customers.

F

Fudzy

How does Microsoft enforce the 1 household rule? Do all active connections have to go through the same internet connection?

Roadrunner

Expert Member
It is the same issue with the price advertised on the Website vs. what you pay at the end of the day that we ran into when Windows 8 was launched.

The pricing is converted to USD when doing the final payment to make things easier for Microsoft. The Rand has substantially decreased in value since the price on the Website was posted, hence the difference.

Don't know why they don't advertise it in USD for everyone right from the start.

Last edited:

nathank

How does Microsoft enforce the 1 household rule? Do all active connections have to go through the same internet connection?
They probably don't, it will just be locked to that user account, so a little bit difficult to give your username and password to those you want to let use it. Same thing as Apple software I guess.

F

Fudzy

They probably don't, it will just be locked to that user account, so a little bit difficult to give your username and password to those you want to let use it. Same thing as Apple software I guess.
Well I'm just thinking about my in laws, they wouldn't know how to do anything with my credentials. They are my neighbours just not the same address :D

Bundu

Expert Member
Dear Mr. Rootshtain, I purchased MS Office Home & Buisness in November and registered for the free upgrade to Office 2013. Trying to download I get the following error:
<012913> If you think you have received this message in error, contact a Microsoft Customer Support representative.
Please rectify the problem or you will lose paying customers.
I'm in the same situation....

Have you managed to download 2013 yet? How big is the download?

lws

My attempt to get the University version failed miserably with the awesome single line of text indicating that it was restricted in my region.

Any idea if/when students can buy this?