Offline PST syncing irritation

rambo919

Executive Member
Now that I have to mostly work from home I have a problem...... the work email account is a legacy 50MB mweb one which means IMAP is impossible unless I wanna regularly loose access to old emails. This means pop3.... which outlook devs in their infinite wisdom never provided a proper syncing solution for. I noticed that no only does none of the sent items show on both PC's but sometimes inbox items only download on one of the two.

I have a temporary solution in the form of Sync2PST but it's a 14 day trial (and performing freakishly slow this morning). All the free solutions require syncing both PC's online instead of offline...... which is a problem because when one is on the other is off..... and I cannot be in two places at the same time anyway ignoring the security risk of entrusting emails to a freeware third party server.

Thoughts?

alphabyte

POP3 should not be an issue, at least for incoming mail.
Just make sure that both PC's are set to "leave a copy on the server for x days" where you decide what is a suitable
length of time. That way it does not matter on which PC you first view the (incoming) email, it is also available for x days to the other one as well, but will eventually get deleted to avoid too much accumulating on the mail server.
I am not sure what you can do about Sent mail - maybe CC all outgoing emails to yourself?

alphabyte

Do you have only one email account/address..? I have more than one address going to the same inbox in Outlook and I have found in the past that the settings were not the same, causing a similar issue.

rambo919

Executive Member
Do you have only one email account/address..? I have more than one address going to the same inbox in Outlook and I have found in the past that the settings were not the same, causing a similar issue.
All inboxes are separated on both PC's yes, I find a communal inbox utterly confusing and would end up sending the wrong email using the wrong account too easily. Only one has a second account anyway. I keep my personal accounts in thunderbird anyway.

At this point I am contemplating just using the account when at the office to simplify things for the most part. Being classed as an essential worker I have to go to work for 3 hours in the morning anyway.

Gozzy

I may have a bit of work around....I have personally not tried it, but just thinking logically :p

1) Get a GMAIL Account that Polls your Mweb account.
2) Set up Outlook with your GMAIL account.
3) You should then Receive your MWEB EMAIL via your GMAIL account (IMAP or POP).
4) Set up a 2nd Profile for sending emails from your MWEB account, or use GMAIL Site itself to send FROM your MWEB.

The Idea may not be perfect as its just a starting point, you could probably fine tune it to your needs...

alphabyte

I may have a bit of work around....I have personally not tried it, but just thinking logically :p
The solution is a bit messy, especially if you come back a year later and do not remember how you set things up, but yes it can be done. I have had such a set up operating and it works okay. The prize is that then both the PC's can be set up for IMAP.
OP: do let us know what happens - others can learn from your experience.

Claymore

Executive Member

1) Get a GMAIL Account that Polls your Mweb account.
2) Set up Outlook with your GMAIL account.
3) You should then Receive your MWEB EMAIL via your GMAIL account (IMAP or POP).
4) Set up a 2nd Profile for sending emails from your MWEB account, or use GMAIL Site itself to send FROM your MWEB.

The Idea may not be perfect as its just a starting point, you could probably fine tune it to your needs...
This is the way. Or Outlook.com. And for people trying to move away from horrible ISP accounts, it gives a chance to still get old email while recipients get used to the new address. I get them to send from Gmail for that.

alphabyte

Of course the proper way is to find out why some of your emails are getting lost. Emails, or any other files for that matter, do not simply delete themselves, so work on the premise that something is happening to cause their deletion.
sometimes inbox items only download on one of the two.
Do you always download the emails directly? Sometimes or always first download headers and then decide what to delete and what to download? Do they auto-download at set intervals or do you only download manually? Are they missing all or mainly on one PC...??
In other words examine carefully what is taking place, and apply logic to the situation.