OpenServe 200mbps Speeds on various ISPs

sirbluepants

I've been looking for a thread like this, but couldn't find one. Please don't crucify me if I missed it.

Thinking of forking out the extra R200pm for 200mbps, but I'm curious to find out what the actual speeds are on different ISPs. Also, has anybody's monthly usage increased dramatically since you've now doubled speeds from 100mbps?

200mbps OpenServe peeps, I need your feedback?

Treschen

If you going with 200Mbps I suggest going with an uncapped product with no FUP like cool ideas. Cybersmart have 900gb FUP on their 200mbps package they told me after 900gb your peer to peer traffic is throttled. Just recently got 100mbps on cool ideas. Who are you thinking of going with though ?

sirbluepants

If you going with 200Mbps I suggest going with an uncapped product with no FUP like cool ideas. Cybersmart have 900gb FUP on their 200mbps package they told me after 900gb your peer to peer traffic is throttled. Just recently got 100mbps on cool ideas. Who are you thinking of going with though ?
My line is with ISPAfrika. Will keep it there, they have amazing support. Get my data from Vox, and it's really good. Sometimes feel they fly under the radar somewhat, but I don't mind.

Do agree though, uncapped without FUP is the way to go. Was wondering more out of interrest, because when I went from 10mbps adsl to 100mbps fibre my usage stayed the same. Wanted to know if other people had the same experience.

And also, see some 200mbps speedtests lol

Treschen

My line is with ISPAfrika. Will keep it there, they have amazing support. Get my data from Vox, and it's really good. Sometimes feel they fly under the radar somewhat, but I don't mind.

Do agree though, uncapped without FUP is the way to go. Was wondering more out of interrest, because when I went from 10mbps adsl to 100mbps fibre my usage stayed the same. Wanted to know if other people had the same experience.

And also, see some 200mbps speedtests lol
Would be nice to have 200mbps bragging rights hehe. So I monitor my router from AWS and average daily usage was around 8 to 10Gb. I looked at the last 24 hours and it was 26Gb that's normal use netflix, show max, YouTube etc. Previous setup was 20Mbps VDSL.

sirbluepants

Would be nice to have 200mbps bragging rights hehe. So I monitor my router from AWS and average daily usage was around 8 to 10Gb. I looked at the last 24 hours and it was 26Gb that's normal use netflix, show max, YouTube etc. Previous setup was 20Mbps VDSL.
I'm more or less near the 15gb per day average. Also streaming, downloads and games. Only 2 users on the network though, so don't know whether 15gb avg between 2 people sounds excessive.

I think going 200mbps will just be a case of... I can. Not because I need it. Clearly, lol.

StoneCold

Expert Member
I'm more or less near the 15gb per day average. Also streaming, downloads and games. Only 2 users on the network though, so don't know whether 15gb avg between 2 people sounds excessive.

I think going 200mbps will just be a case of... I can. Not because I need it. Clearly, lol.
I also contemplated going for 200mbps via Openserve, but for a capped setup. Eventually decided that 200mbps would be complete overkill for my wife and I and opted for 100mbps with Cool Ideas. Very happy customer and uncapped & unshaped is pure bliss :)

sirbluepants

I also contemplated going for 200mbps via Openserve, but for a capped setup. Eventually decided that 200mbps would be complete overkill for my wife and I and opted for 100mbps with Cool Ideas. Very happy customer and uncapped & unshaped is pure bliss :)
You are making a valid point. Uncapped with coolideas for very close to the same price as 100mbps with 400gb cap.

Joker

Expert Member
Don't rely on SpeedTests as a comparison between ISPs - for instance I can get 200mb speedtest on Webafrica but at the same time a 480p twitch stream struggles..

sirbluepants

Don't rely on SpeedTests as a comparison between ISPs - for instance I can get 200mb speedtest on Webafrica but at the same time a 480p twitch stream struggles..
Could not agree more! Thought my days of buffering were gone when I got my 100mbps line. No such luck.

StoneCold

Expert Member

ajan