Openserve installation

Filosofer

Hi,

So I live in an area that doesn't have fibre coverage. A few months back Vumatel laid fibre on an adjacent street about 100m from where I live. After speaking to some people from Vumatel i was told that my street is not part of their roll out plan.

Anyway, last weekend I saw Openserve lay fibre down my street, along my building to the post office next door. Is it possible for me and other occupants living in my building to get fibre from that line?

Not sure how it all works and who to speak to about this. Help

fundutzi

Steps:
a. Look for ISPs that offer packages on Openserve fibre network.
b. Contact the ISP from a. and ask if you can Fibre at your address.
They will ask what package you want.

I do not know how it works if you contact Telkom direct to get internet on Openserve. Telkom has only wasted serious amounts of my time in the past.

Perhaps @cavedog can help here?

Monka

Hi,

So I live in an area that doesn't have fibre coverage. A few months back Vumatel laid fibre on an adjacent street about 100m from where I live. After speaking to some people from Vumatel i was told that my street is not part of their roll out plan.

Anyway, last weekend I saw Openserve lay fibre down my street, along my building to the post office next door. Is it possible for me and other occupants living in my building to get fibre from that line?

Not sure how it all works and who to speak to about this. Help
Unfortunately not because that fibre line is an ME(MetroEthernet) line mostly used by corporate as it is a dedicated line from exchange to the business premises with a 1:1 contention and minimum monthly payment is R32K. Post office has contracted Openserve to roll out ME to all their branches across SA in order to link up with the SASSA grant system.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Unfortunately not because that fibre line is an ME(MetroEthernet) line mostly used by corporate as it is a dedicated line from exchange to the business premises with a 1:1 contention and minimum monthly payment is R32K. Post office has contracted Openserve to roll out ME to all their branches across SA in order to link up with the SASSA grant system.
Not the whole story. The fibre may well have spare fibres in which case Openserve could be planning a gpon system in the area. Look at the Openserve coverage maps to see what is planned for yourvarea.