Opera browser sold for $600 million

MrJacques

Just recently it was revealed that Maxthon browser leaks data to some Chinese site. Not sure if I'll trust Opera anymore.

Maxson_N

Hmm I bet the Chinese are more interested in all the data they going to get through Opera Mini since it works differently from other browsers..

Petec

Expert Member
***edit***

Vivaldi Browser it is then.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Security firm Qihoo 360 are purchasing the assets for $600 million (R8.6 billion), while Opera will keep its consumer division, including Opera Apps & Games and Opera TV.

They have been busy,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qihoo_360

New Initiatives

In the summer of 2012, Qihoo 360 entered the smartphone market by launching the Battleship phone together with Haier, the large Chinese consumer electronics company.[8] Qihoo 360 said that Haier will provide the hardware while Qihoo 360 will focus on customising the software, albeit the main operating system will be Android. Qihoo 360 received over 220,000 pre-orders for the phone the first day.[9]

Later in 2012, Qihoo 360 entered the search market by launching so.com, thereby directly competing with Baidu, the dominant search engine in China. Qihoo has seen its share of unique visitors quickly grow to 10.52%.[10] "Sōu" (搜) in Chinese means "search".

Most recently, Qihoo 360 has struck deals with major technology companies Google and Nokia for search and mobile phone partnerships, respectively.

On July 18, 2013, Qihoo launched its new search engine leidian.com, which aimed at increasing its presence in the mobile market.[11]

In early 2015, Qihoo rebranded its so.com search engine to redirect to haosou.com. "Hao" in Chinese means good; Haosou directly translated to English means "good search engine".[12]

Really busy,

Controversies

Qihoo has been described by Forbes as a confrontational and litigious company due to its involvement in various anti-competition lawsuits.[13]

The company was involved in lawsuits with Tencent,[13][14] starting with the 360 v. Tencent dispute, as well as other companies such as Baidu,[15] Emiage,[16] Sogou.[17]

The company has been accused by Anonymous of overstating the volume of traffic to its site in order to attract advertisers.[18]

The AV testing companies, AV-Comparatives of Austria, Germany’s AV-Test and Virus Bulletin of the UK have accused Qihoo of providing for testing its anti-virus equipped with a Bitdefender engine, while the consumer version uses Qihoo’s own QVM engine.[19], [20]

I am well aware that they tried to cheat with their AV-Comparatives AV-engine submission. A product given to the Chinese masses to promote advertisements... Opera soon to be turned into a Qihoo-promoted ads board, bundled with their search engine, blocking the competitor’s ads.

K3NS31

Expert Member
It's OK, I've already switched to Vivaldi. Early days yet, but it's nice to have some of the original Opera features back (tab-stacking ftw)

MrJacques

Opera is actually a nice browser. It was the first multi tab browser I used. It's not the same as when it first came out and it uses the same engine as Chrome, although I have come across 1 or 2 sites that don't work exactly like they should that work fine in Chrome.

Will have to check out Vivaldi, made by some guy(s) that were at Opera. Or just stay on the current version as long as I can.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Opera is actually a nice browser. It was the first multi tab browser I used. It's not the same as when it first came out and it uses the same engine as Chrome, although I have come across 1 or 2 sites that don't work exactly like they should that work fine in Chrome.

Will have to check out Vivaldi, made by some guy(s) that were at Opera. Or just stay on the current version as long as I can.

Make the change. It's much closer to the pre-Chrome Opera in terms of functionality (which is the point of it).

falcon786

Honorary Master
People still use this browser? :confused:

Yes don't believe the hype around other browsers just because they are more popular does not mean they are better,Opera is still superior.In fact now that it's Chinese owned it'll probably get big numbers behind it but that doesn't mean it will get better.

Make the change. It's much closer to the pre-Chrome Opera in terms of functionality (which is the point of it).

I tried it but like you said it's early days and things are not exactly there yet so I stopped using it.I wish they could somehow get it there quicker to where it would work for me.

Impulse_One

People still use this browser? :confused:
In Russia it is popular browser on mobile for at least two reasons:

1) Turbo mode - compresses the data from internet. Reduces data usage up to 80%.

2) Side effect of the turbo mode - the data retrieved from websites, passes through compressing gateway, effectively obscuring the orginal IP of websites, very useful in the light of government blocks and listening.

K3NS31

Expert Member
Also, forgot that it's still the most popular mobile browser around.
Partially cos of reasons mentioned above.