Over-ear or on-ear headphones?

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
When using a pair of headphones to listen to audio, do you prefer using a device with over-ear or on-ear earcups? Why?

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I have a pair of JBL in ear bluetooth headphones that came wiht my G6.
good quality, good fit, very comfortable, and wearing both gives a fair amount of noise cancelation.
when we got broken into, a pair of those got stolen, so we replaced them wiht high quality over ear noise anceling headphones for the wife to use in the office.
they are very good, but I prefer the in ear ones.

however, if I could find another pair of aftershockz bluez headphones we would have bought those.

over ear and in ear are good and all, but bone conducting is so much better and more comfortable.

so for me the correct answer is neither, give me bone conducting anytime.

konfab

Honorary Master
There is a very simply reason why for me: situational awareness. My headphones don't prohibit me from listening to my surroundings. If I am at home playing on the PS4, I want to still be able to hear if a window is broken or not.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
I also use bone conduction headphones (trekz titanium). When out and about I want to be able to hear what's going on around me, traffic etc, while still listening to music or audio books

Last edited:

rubber_otter

Expert Member
There is a very simply reason why for me: situational awareness. My headphones don't prohibit me from listening to my surroundings. If I am at home playing on the PS4, I want to still be able to hear if a window is broken or not.

TIA.

I have a set of Samsung Level U in-ear BT earphones. Awareness is key.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Cheap Chinese Bluetooth earphones. Not paying R2000+ for bone conducting earphones or regular headphones. Couldn't care less about social awareness or "hearing" traffic.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
Cheap Chinese Bluetooth earphones. Not paying R2000+ for bone conducting earphones or regular headphones. Couldn't care less about social awareness or "hearing" traffic.

I was on the same mission.
my first set of bone conducting headphones was because I got to test out the pair and experience the difference.

I would never pay a silly amount on headphones for myself.
that is why when my bluetooth ones got stolen I took my wife's and she replaced them with expensive over the ear headphones.

but honestly, there is a massive difference.
the cheap ones that come wiht your phone, or that you buy for cheap just do not give you the same thing.
and I am not even a audiophile.

you can buy cheap knock off shoes that look like the real deal but cost half the price.
or you can buy the real deal for a lot of money.
if your shoes are about looking good, go for the cheap ones.
if your shoes are meant to last and provide support while walking great distances, spend the extra money.
headphones are the same.

mfumbesi

Expert Member
I prefer Over-the-ear. On the ear hurt, in the ear feel intrusive to me.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
you can buy cheap knock off shoes that look like the real deal but cost half the price.
or you can buy the real deal for a lot of money.
if your shoes are about looking good, go for the cheap ones.
if your shoes are meant to last and provide support while walking great distances, spend the extra money.
headphones are the same.
I see it more like buying Levi's sneakers for half the price of Vinz and Converse sneakers.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Factory env.... Got me a set of RED Jbl E55's Over ear for a reason. Don't wanna hear the machines and they are bright red (Same color as company issued health and safety covers) so people note that I can not hear them.

Will never use in ear after I saw a medical journal at doctor's office re bacteria found on in-ears.

Last edited:

C4Cat

Honorary Master
You'll get mugged regardless and secure your home if it's so easy to get in.

I almost got hit by a car I didn't hear when walking in the street with in-ear headphones in and music on - my bad, I know but that will never happen with the bone conduction headphones, I can hear the traffic around me... It's personal though isn't it?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I almost got hit by a car I didn't hear when walking in the street with in-ear headphones in and music on - my bad, I know but that will never happen with the bone conduction headphones, I can hear the traffic around me... It's personal though isn't it?
That's why I look both ways even when I cross a one way street.